What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi Sync

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My problem was my iPad 1 would show up under devices and get recognized in iTunes but my iPad 2 would not at all....been researching all day to not being able to figure it out then a thought came to mind. I opened iTunes then cut off home sharing the plugged up the iPad 2 with no problems at all! Kinda weird I know but it recognizing iPad 2 now

awboxster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi mine synced ok the first time and then stopped. I have tried all the suggestions in the previous threads but to no avail. I have given up trying to wirelessly sync...life is too short!

Adrian

JTMustang3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed, mine was wireless syncing fine now all sudden I have to launch iTunes manually then it syncs on its own, but it used to open iTunes when docked in charger, or computer turned on, now have to open iTunes first.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mine was wireless syncing fine now all sudden I have to launch iTunes manually then it syncs on its own, but it used to open iTunes when docked in charger, or computer turned on, now have to open iTunes first[/QUOTE

Mine is also doing the same thing. I suspect is was the result of an iTunes update.  Perhaps there is a setting somewhere that can change this, but, I agree with awboxster...Life is too short.

On the other hand, I used to get regular, nuisance pop-ups of iTunes while working on other things. This has stopped.

Hot_guitar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wifi Syncing Stopped Working With iPad2, iPhone 4S - Fixed

Folks, sometime in November, I updated both devices to iOS 5.0.1, iTunes to 10.5.1 and my firewall software (PC) to their latest release. I noticed a week later that the wifi syncing would not work, always saying it would resume when my computer became available.

I did two things last night and one of them fixed the issue.

1- Repaired iTunes by redownloading the install file and choosing "repair"
2- Updated my firewall rules to allow this program to communicate: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
3- I also opened up ports 3689 and 5353 for iTunes on a previous day...that seemed to reenable sharing of music libraries.

Time will tell if these changes permanently fix the problem.:D

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I consider myself lucky. I have a Windows 7 now and recently was also using a 5 year old Vista laptop. I managed on both to get wifi sync working. As soon as I plug in my iPad & iPhone, it works right away. Of course on my former Leopard desktop, wifi sync was out of the question, and the Mini had started to get slightly sluggish, so I didn't want to invest in upgrading it to Snow Leopard, and couldn't see spending $700 on a new Mini when there are Windows systems costing same for a lot more features, and which run smoothly too. My beloved bought me an early Xmas present all in one HP touchscreen desktop which is sweet and working well with iTunes and my Apple devices. There was no secret or struggle for the wifi sync to work-it just does, thankfully.

carl 11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the thread and issue are what, 2 months old and still, issues/problems...what is apple doing? taking a vacation? seriously. wth?

not working here. grayed out sync button on my ipad.

the only time it ever synced via 'wireless' was when I had it usb'ed to my computer :D

thx but thats not what I need apple, nor what you promised, thats the way it works NOW, who needs wireless if you have to...well, have it WIRED up hello?

between the jacked Music App and this? the whole OS 5 "upgrade" inmho was useless and far from professional.

Wolvver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It appears that after many hours..... When I unplug my iPad from the computer,WITHOUT clicking the eject button on the left hand column, under devices, I can wifi sync. The only problem is that the iTunes has to be open on your computer. Weird

JTMustang3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok I'm lost on this now...you should not have to change firewall settings and such...it's funny, the wireless sync just stopped.....I just updated the itunes that was out there, all the checkmarks are in, at one point even plugging in iTunes did not even see my iPad until I unplugged several times, rebooted, now I have iPad in its dock, charging, opened iTunes, it does not see my iPad and the sync now button is grayed out......is there a work around other than open this port and that port..I can't see how just stopped and now its back to ole style, tether it, works....all the wireless settings as I said were set as before when the update first came out, just confusing wht stopped.

JTMustang3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So now sitting here stopped worrying about this crazy wifi stuff, had a wireless printer issue, so rebooted my router, printer fine now, for hell of it opened iTunes with iPad not connected to computer and it syncs, hmmm router reboot, hmm?

Boet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have not been able to wirelessly sync to my win7 laptop since Oct 19th according to what it says. My husband was at the laptop and said an update was downloading for iTunes. After the update I looked and still grayed out. I than had him open iTunes and suddenly I was able to sync wirelessly. Seems to defeat the purpose having to go to laptop, open iTunes and back to iPad to sync. might as well plug it in with USB... hope they fix this soon.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My sync does go well with no issues, but yes, the one thing is that iTunes definitely has to be open for it to work. I have to wake my computer up as it goes to sleep at a certain point, so I just do that, and I still find it better than having to plug into my computer as it's handy to charge my iPad and iPhone wherever I feel like it and know that it then will sync from there too. But once iTunes is open, it automatically lists both devices and then whichever is plugged in, the sync starts right up. I usually want to look for any app updates anyway, so this ends up being no big deal, and I just like being able to plug into an outlet and not the computer. I still find it easier. I'd love it if the mere plug into outlet would wake the computer up and lauch iTunes. I usually leave iTunes open, but my screen saver engaged means it won't start the sync until I push a key to get the computer to full screen. But again, this is still better than having to use the USB.

JTMustang3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure what's changed, everything is checked, used to sync wirelessly , then had to open iTunes and would sync, now back to the plugin, I have no clue why happened

Most reactions