What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi Sync

Beerman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry, I think I 'sped read' over your post. I didn't even see it but I certainly understood it after I just read it.
It really has a few bugs from what I can see so they shouldn't brag about it just yet.

JTMustang3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tested off ac power, it syncs after a minute once you open iTunes, which makes since, I see no reason why has to have power supply plugged in, if fully charged how is the ac power assisting the wifi, I did 4 backups off ac power now, as I said earlier, was hoping if computer was on, iTunes would launch if the wireless sync was enabled,

Sent from my iPad using iPF

indeana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was able to sync both my iPad 2 & iPhone 4 several times earlier today without having to be plugged in to electrical power.

vitamin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Beerman said:
Sorry, I think I 'sped read' over your post. I didn't even see it but I certainly understood it after I just read it.
It really has a few bugs from what I can see so they shouldn't brag about it just yet.

No problem. I agree about the Bugs. Overall pretty sweet OS.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I couldn't get the wifi sync to work last night. I couldn't find any reference to it in iTunes on my Mac... Am I missing something obvious?

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

sir_ben

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the grayed out Sync button problem earlier. But following @Beerman's advice made it work. I was able to sync my iPad through wifi. I tried it twice. I managed to do it without having to plug it into a power outlet (my batter is over 85%) and I also did it without opening iTunes on my PC.

Arcsylver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This morning I synced the iPad via wi-fi just fine, then my partner disconnected it from iTunes via the little button so he could sync his iPod. Then we made some purchases in iTunes and wanted to sync things again and no matter what we did we could not get iTunes to see the iPad again.

I am thinking that something doesnt always get detected between the iPad and iTunes over wi-fi and once you disconnect from the iTunes computer you just about have to leave the range of the wi-fi network and reconnect that way or something. Perhaps shutting down the iPad or power cycling the router would work as a workaround solution I am not sure.

I would test this theory but the iPad is currently out of town with Partner until Sunday.

sir_ben

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm currently testing it again right now. I noticed that after syncing when I turned off iTunes, the Sync button on my iPad still can be tapped. Tapping shows that it seems to sync but then nothing happens. When I close the settings app and remove it from the multitasking bar, then reopen it, the sync button is grayed out again. The only way to use it is to open iTunes again on the PC and launch the settings app again.

Another thing is that on the PC, I added a playlist and then tapped the sync button on the iPad. It showed that it synced but it never copied the songs on the playlist. Tried a few times but still it won't copy the songs. Then I tried clicking on the Sync button on iTunes itself and it synced via wifi and successfully managed the songs.

So, I guess there are still a few quirks. I guess the next delta update will correct this...

Or maybe I'm doing something wrong.... XD

Beerman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For those who have sync working, once you close iTunes, does it keep opening up on it's own every few minutes? I had to turn sync off as nothing I did after syncing would stop iTunes from continually opening. It seemed to keep looking for the ipad to sync and with the cover closed, could not find it I assume.

kspector

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried this with no luck.
Does my PC have to be ONLY on wifi (I can run it only on wifi or with a network cable attached)? The only way the Sync Now button is not grayed out is if the USB cable is connected to the laptop.

Any other suggestions??

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for explaining this. I have a fear it's going to try to sync everything in my iTunes, which wouldn't fit on my iPad. We'll see.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Drag Bunt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tried everything above to no avail. Finally reset my wireless router (power off/on) and now the iPad recognizes the host computer and Sync is working wirelessly. Not requiring it be plugged in to power, either.

ITunes on Win7.

OP
Wizee

Wizee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem, I unclicked sync with ipad and now went back the old way.Probly just a bug.

For those who have sync working, once you close iTunes, does it keep opening up on it's own every few minutes? I had to turn sync off as nothing I did after syncing would stop iTunes from continually opening. It seemed to keep looking for the ipad to sync and with the cover closed, could not find it I assume.

kevguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wizee said:
I have the same problem, I unclicked sync with ipad and now went back the old way.Probly just a bug.

I suspect too that it is a bug that will be sorted out in the near future.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad syncs whilst running on battery too which I didn't think was meant to happen....?

EDIT: just re-read what it says.... 'automatically' sync when plugged into power, so it's not saying 'only' when plugged in, but rather you can do it manually whilst on battery power, not automatically.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts