What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi Sync

kspector

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kspector said:

One other thing...when I go to the iTunes wifi sync page it says "sync will resume when kens_laptop is available". That t is the name of my laptop with iTunes .

Does this help?

My laptop is on my network via wifi as is my iPad

But the sync now button is always grayed out

deaconwc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My set up is a desktop wired (no wifi connection) to the router with an iPad2 and an iPhone 4
As I mentioned before, unchecking the "Open iTunes..." box did the trick for me but it wasn't instantaneous. Intially it didn't seem to work but all of a sudden my iPhone became visible in iTunes. I restarted the iPad and closed/reopened iTunes and a short time later the iPad showed up in iTunes. It did lose the iPad again but a reset and iTunes reopen solved that and they have been there since.
If the devices are visible in the LH pane w/o USB cable, it is connecting via wifi. If not, I know it is frustrating but review everything...
Wifi sync box checked, close iTunes, plug device into charger, reset device, open iTunes, turn device on AND wait to see if it shows up in the LH pane. If it does you are connected.
If it shows up, make some changes in iTunes, ie playlist and give it a few before seeing if the sync button is available.

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The key seems to be that iTunes must be open and running on the PC. I thought it would sync without iTunes actually open on my PC, but it remains greyed out until I open iTunes and then it starts to sync automatic. I'm not sure why the "open iTunes automatic" would make any difference in this case since nothing happens until I start itunes on my PC manually. Also, I thought there would be no need of a computer with iOS 5 so why must we sync to our PC still?

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
markbnh1 said:
The key seems to be that iTunes must be open and running on the PC. I thought it would sync without iTunes actually open on my PC, but it remains greyed out until I open iTunes and then it starts to sync automatic. I'm not sure why the "open iTunes automatic" would make any difference in this case since nothing happens until I start itunes on my PC manually. Also, I thought there would be no need of a computer with iOS 5 so why must we sync to our PC still?

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

Excellent question about iTunes on the PC, I was just wondering about that myself!

Last edited:

deaconwc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I came home yesterday and "Sync Now" was greyed out on both iPad and iPhone. No matter what I did I couldn't get them to show up in iTunes via wifi. As I thought about my configuration, I realized that I have my photos on an external HD. The HD is one of those that goes to sleep and there is sometimes a lag when it wakes up. I moved the pictures folder to the local machine and directed iTunes to this new location. This change seems to have resolved the wifi connection issue.
Hoping this helps someone else.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't tried wifi sync yet.. Kinda scared it will try to sync the 80gb of music or something, but I'm definitely going to try it soon.

quicky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would love to know why "Sync with this iPhone over WiFi" is not checked by default in iTunes... that was the problem for me.

Thanks to the guy who mentioned Open iTunes when [...].

Cheers

deaconwc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The wifi sync has been driving me crazy (and it is a relatively short drive)!! Every time I think I have a solution, I post it and then the next day it doesn't work! I finally narrowed it to my router. Initially, I was rebooting the Win7 machine, powering off the iDevices and rebooting the router to get a connection. I finally decided to focus on one thing and choose the router (WRT610N Linksys) and the majority of the times I rebooted it I had a wifi connection for the iPad and iPhone.
Tonight I did a google search using: WRT610N ipad sync. Sure enough there is an old section in the blog about connectivity issues with Bonjour. It suggested to enable multicasting in the router firewall setting and that seems to be the ticket. Not sure if this works with any other brand but it might be worth a try.
Here is the link WRT610N incompatible with Bonjour - Cisco Home Community
I've closed and reopened iTunes a couple times and have had a wifi connection to both iDevices each time which was not the case prior to this. Hope it is the same in the morning and hope this helps someone else!!

Ramdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This exact thing happened to me. Did you ever get it to sync again over wifi? If so what did you do? I have been struggling with this for several weeks now. It worked great when it worked! Thanks for any pointers.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Haven't tried (and won't either) on my windows machine, but wireless syncing 'just works' like a dream on my mac. It's second nature automatically.
It just requires a fresh boot from the iPad when the 2 are bought together.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I've had problems and I'm restoring iPad again! Maybe router, maybe windows vista rubbish etc... It's brilliant when it works, rubbish when it doesn't. All I wanted was to add Xmas songs to my iPad. Is that so very hard for it to understand? It won't sync, full stop.

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

kspector

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is really weird. Sometimes it works for a while, then it stops. Not sure what is happening.

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mines been working fine since the initial 5.0 upgrade but since the 5.0.1 it appears to take much longer to sync. Already tried all the fixes ie router reset, iPad reset ect... Just turned it off and sync and back up the old fashion way. Problem solved!

Most reactions

Latest posts