What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi or cellular Mini? What did you purchase...?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just ordered a refurb wifi only mini as I already have a mifi mobile hotspot the savings across my three wifi iPads have more than made up for not having a dedicated cellular mini. As for missing the GPS functions, I have an iPhone which covers that base.

The Archangel

ajvan2010

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went with the wifi only version. I can always tether or set up a hot spot through my phone if needed.

Art Frau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went with the wifi only version. I can always tether or set up a hot spot through my phone if needed.

I pondered the question also since I do have cellular in my iPad 3 64 but couldn't get mini with cellular at the time I purchased it. So what I did instead of going with tethering expense bought a Freedom Pop photon. It works pretty good depending on location . Less than $7.00 Per month with rollover MBs so it solved my issue.

Redjupiter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me it was very simple indeed. I live in the UK and I have an O2 contract on my Iphone 3GS. I went for the Ipad mini for 2 reasons:

1. I already have a phone.
2. Using O2 Tugo application (O2 | O2 TU Go | TU Go, be the first to find out more), and if I am feeling lazy to pick up the phone or simply cannot reach the phone at the moment, i simply use Tugo on my Ipad mini wifi only and can make phone calls and sent text messages (will be deducted from my Iphone contract ). Of course you need a connection for that, either a Wifi (such as in a cafe) or a 3G. if I have no connection I just tether it to my Iphone over bluetooth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP
Y

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed the 16gb sold out fast, in just a few hours. I was getting impatient and I know it will take a week or 2 to ship over form the slow boat. 13.xx usable gb is not enough any more. Had to up to the next size.

intillzah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got a 16GB wifi model, if I could afford it. I would have gotten a 32gb cellular model.. But then again, money is an object for me and you can afford what you can afford...

OP
Y

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got a 16GB wifi model, if I could afford it. I would have gotten a 32gb cellular model.. But then again, money is an object for me and you can afford what you can afford...

Quite understandable, that's why my first 2 iPads bought back in 2010 were only 16gb. I purchased Refurbished ($389 for 32GB) as I figure I could save some cash that way, and have had very good luck with previous refurb purchases.

sngmnl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
16gb wifi, Hotspot with my S3. :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Unkei

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey y2kgtp,
Having had run ins with Verizon and being told I was locked into their service (a lie by the way!), Best Buy recommended a Sprint Hotspot with limited data plan, (I use data only for taking credit cards for my small business). So I did that and got the Hotspot for free with purchase of my iPad Mini. The Hot Spot is only $99 regularly though.
I have a wireless network at home and use public wifi ( with caution) when out. Sprint will also allow
you to put that data plan on hold, if your'e only using it sporadically as I do. That fee is only $8.99 a
month as opposed to the normal monthly fee.
Unkei

Last edited:

Most reactions