What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi or cellular Mini? What did you purchase...?

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to make a decision on what to get.

We currently use Verizon, so I could just add a LTE iPad Mini to our account of shared Data. My other option is just to get a WiFi model, and tether it to my iPhone. This feature is currently free with my current plan as just uses the shared data pool.

If Verizon would be able to support Voice + Data simultaneously, this would be a non-issue. However I would use this tablet to supplement my capability for working away from my office, so I don't need to drag my Laptop out with me all the time.

"Here, let me hang up with you so I can use the internet, then call you back."

I think it comes down to convenience vs cost, as most things do.

I also fret over purchasing 2 LTE iPad Mini's for about a grand, then have it upgraded by Apple earlier than expected. However I really could use the mobility now, then later this year.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am trying to make a decision on what to get.

We currently use Verizon, so I could just add a LTE iPad Mini to our account of shared Data. My other option is just to get a WiFi model, and tether it to my iPhone. This feature is currently free with my current plan as just uses the shared data pool.

If Verizon would be able to support Voice + Data simultaneously, this would be a non-issue. However I would use this tablet to supplement my capability for working away from my office, so I don't need to drag my Laptop out with me all the time.

"Here, let me hang up with you so I can use the internet, then call you back."

I think it comes down to convenience vs cost, as most things do.

I also fret over purchasing 2 LTE iPad Mini's for about a grand, then have it upgraded by Apple earlier than expected. However I really could use the mobility now, then later this year.

I purchased a wifi only model, and to honest I kind of regret it. Like you, I would rather not have to depend on another device to tether the Internet. So in wifi vs LTE, I would say go with the LTE models. As for when, if you can I'd say wait till at least mid or the end of April before a purchase, just in case apple does another 6 month refresh of the iPads. But if you need them now, I recommend purchasing from the apple refurb store to save some money. (Link below)

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad/ipad_mini

Squirrel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went with cellular. i do have Personal Hotspot on my iphone, but it can kill battery. I figured the big point about the Mini was its portability anyway- so cellular to me is more important than storage.

quadtronix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the wifi mini cause I'm almost always in a hotspot. Have not regretted it...

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Cellular. Mini's battery larger than phone battery...doesn't make sense to hotspot off phone. Also, cellular has the gps chip inside.

teralpar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought WiFi only, but I'm beginning to regret it. I find myself tethering my Mini to my cell phone more and more, which kills the phone's battery. My next iPad will definitely have cellular!

Sent from my Black iPad Mini 16GB using iPF

OP
Y

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pretty much decided it's worth it to me to have the cell model. I want to be able to make a phone call and use the internet for work, if needed.

teralpar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How are you able to make phone calls on an ipad (w/cellular)? Is there an app for that?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How are you able to make phone calls on an ipad (w/cellular)? Is there an app for that?

By not killing the phone with tethering. But yeah, millitalk, talkatone and other apps can make phone calls from the ipad

OP
Y

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yes, I should clarify. Verizon does not allow voice/data at the same time. So if I only had a WiFi iPad, I could not tether it to my iPhone and talk on the phone at the same time. It would drop the internet.

AT&T likes to rip on Verizon about this all the time.

OP
Y

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As indecisive that I am, I think I am going to simply get WiFi models.

• I don't need to use it as GPS
  • I can already tether for free to my iPhone data plan
  • I may only need to use the iPad out of the house 1-2 times a week at most
I figure I will save $130 on the purchase price, as well as the $11-13 per month ($140ish per year) it would cost me to add the device to my current Verizon account.

As my wife also wants one, these prices double. Between purchase pricing and Verizon plans that's almost $600 a year I can put to better use elsewhere.

Like paying for the iPad Mini 2 and giving these to the kids..... ;)

Clix Pix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Back when the first iPad came out, they released the WiFi-only one on Launch Day, and then several weeks later followed it with releasing the version with cellular. I just couldn't wait, I HAD to have an iPad on Day One, so bought my iPad WiFi-only..... Well, it didn't take me long to realize that this was the kind of device I'd want to carry with me everywhere and sometimes there is simply not going to be WiFi available. So, yeah, on the day they released the first-gen iPad with cellular, I was back at the Apple store again. Lesson learned from that experience! Ever since then I have purchased the iPad with cellular data and yes, it DOES come in handy in unexpected places! When I bought the iPad Mini I knew that it would be the one going out-and-about with me, so a no-brainer that it would be one with cellular data. The plan is easy enough to implement and to cancel, too. I am on AT&T. My iPhone is still on the unlimited plan so I am not changing anything with that when the $15/mo cellular data plan right on the iPad Mini works just fine. I don't need it that often but when I do it's there, ready to use. I carry my iPad Mini with me everywhere, or just about everywhere, and so it is worth having the flexibility of the cellular data plan.

johnbergsing

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I debated the very same decision, but for different reasons. I have an iPhone 4S so no LTE on my phone. I went with the 32gb VZN iPad Mini and LOVE it! I rarely leave home without it!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts