What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPAD MINI PURCHASE? Verizon , sprint, or att, any ipad better???

Wimbleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am thinking of purchasing an ipad mini cellular version on ebay .... does anyone know if there is a difference in quality or if one is different in any way .... My reasoning is i once bought an samsung galaxy s2 and found out it was cdma after the fact, so it was limited out of the US ..... so i am asking to insure as best i can are there any different things about an ipad mini , by any 3 providers , sprint, at@t ,or verizon i should know ? It is not going to be used in the us much so choosing the cellular to change sims in different countries is my priority thx

Bell diver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought an iPad mini cellular to use as my back up phone/ Internet when I work overseas. I thought it was just like a large iPhone. Unfortunately the cellular only is for data. You can't put a SIM card in it and use it as a phone. You can call through face time, Skype ect but not just through a normal network.

The sims are hard to come by and expensive and the pay as you go plans aren't that good?? Just for data only, At least not in Aberdeen/ Scotland anyway???

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
With the earlier iPads (1 & 2) the Verizon model was CDMA only and didn't have a sim slot and didnt work in a lot of countries......this changed in the newer models and now Verizon and AT&T models both have sim slots. With the Verizon model having both GSM and CDMA,

If you do a search here you should be able to find more info on this.

Hope this helps.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If using the Mini outside the USA on a SIM card is your priority, may I suggest you go with the AT&T version. It's got the worldwide GSM coding, which will make swapping out a SIM card easy (especially in Europe where the GSM standard is ubiquitous).

You don't have to activate the Mini on AT&T here in the States, but at least you'll have a better chance of using an AT&T Mini overseas.

Marilyn

OP
W

Wimbleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi thanks ... At@t it will be then .... I read in an older post that ipads purchased in the US need to be opened first with a cellular plan for a min. 30 day period ,before they will work outside the country overseas .Do you know if this is still the case or that has changed since the older posts? Also mini ipad .....Nano-SIM
iPad mini is not compatible with existing micro-SIM cards. Ipad mini is a nano - sim , not compatible with micro-sim cards ??? how would this effect its use in europe or Asia ? Thank you in advance

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi thanks ... At@t it will be then .... I read in an older post that ipads purchased in the US need to be opened first with a cellular plan for a min. 30 day period ,before they will work outside the country overseas .Do you know if this is still the case or that has changed since the older posts? Also mini ipad .....Nano-SIM
iPad mini is not compatible with existing micro-SIM cards. Ipad mini is a nano - sim , not compatible with micro-sim cards ??? how would this effect its use in europe or Asia ? Thank you in advance

I've never heard that you had to activate the iPad with an AT&T account before it could be used overseas. Doesn't mean you have to, but I've never heard. Maybe someone will be along to tell us for sure one way or another...

And, I'm sure that any shop that can sell you a data plan for the Mini will have the appropriate SIM card for the Mini.

Marilyn

OP
W

Wimbleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No i am thinking when , i am overseas and want to substitute the a sim from one of these contries if the sim is different ( nano sim , ) for mini ....that the countries sim wont fit ! .... samsung new phones , have been rumored to be ie ,galaxy note3 that even when unlocked they will work only intheir respective zones , north america, europe, and asia ..... Its been suggested from someone who contacted samsung that the phone needs to be opened up once by acarrier 1 time ( 30days) from the the phones respective area ,and after this then will work in any of the areas world wide .......so if this true maybe same for mini

Most reactions