What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Cellular question?

delirium trigger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my iPad mini with LTE today. I was wondering if it is like the iPhone in regards to cellular data. For example, when my iPhone is connected to wifi, when I turn the screen off, the wifi goes off and it turns to LTE. When I turn the screen off the iPad, does it turn to LTE?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As long as wi-fi is available, the iPad will use the wi-fi.

As for the iPhone, it also uses wi-fi whenever it is available, not you cellular data (with the exception of cellular phone and SMS services, which are always on). The new LTE voice call services that will be available from some carriers, soon, will probably change that; but I'm not sure in what way, or how it will impact data limits.

In both cases, I believe the devices conserve power wile the screen is off (and the device is not plugged into power). Probably by a combination of limiting transmission to the minimum needed to keep the connection live, and only checking in with the network every so often.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

OP
D

delirium trigger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As long as wi-fi is available, the iPad will use the wi-fi.

As for the iPhone, it also uses wi-fi whenever it is available, not you cellular data (with the exception of cellular phone and SMS services, which are always on). The new LTE voice call services that will be available from some carriers, soon, will probably change that; but I'm not sure in what way, or how it will impact data limits.

In both cases, I believe the devices conserve power wile the screen is off (and the device is not plugged into power). Probably by a combination of limiting transmission to the minimum needed to keep the connection live, and only checking in with the network every so often.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

No, on the iPhone, the wifi does not stay on when the screen goes off. Because when I turn the iPhone on, it's on LTE and it takes a few seconds for the wifi to pop up. Usually just like one second though. But I can see that it's on LTE when it's asleep.

So I'm wondering if the iPad does the same thing.

I'm liking having the GPS on the iPad mini now, I got a dock that goes in my cd player in my car and it holds my iPad. Better than my real GPS! Especially now that they have google maps navigation in IOS again.

What else can I do with an LTE iPad that I don't know about? I've always had wifi ones until now. I'm interested to know what all it can do. The GPS is a huge plus. Find my iPad finally works!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My iPhone does not do this, and yours should not. Unless you shut all updating and backups down, LTE would get hammered if the iPhone did not continue to use wi-fi, even when the screen is off.

Or it will simply fail to do any iCloud backups or app updates in the background.

If you are certain your iPhone is using LTE data whenever the screen is off, I recommend contacting Apple and asking what's up. It should not do this. If you have Applecare, you should have free tech support. Or you can wait until you have the iPad, and if it does the same thing you've got 90 days of free tech support for it.

Or it might be a problem with your router killing the connection. Restart it, Reset All Network Settings on the iPhone, connect back to the router and see if the problem goes away. Also, check with your manufacturer's support page to see if there are any firmware updates for the router.

Basically, LTE opens up all kinds of searching, browsing, and location tracking while you are on the go. You can also take advantage of the various streaming services (while keeping a close eye on your data limit).

Whatever you could do with your iPad at home, you'll now be able to do anywhere. Well, anywhere with a decent cell signal.

OP
D

delirium trigger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Every iPhone I've ever had has done it. If I turn it on and look quickly I see the LTE. They might not connect to my router quick enough or something. Sometimes it takes 4 or 5 seconds for the wifi to pop up on it. The iPad is doing it instantly though.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad does not turn off wifi when the screen shuts down. I don't believe this is something you can set or a feature per se. If wifi is ON then that's what the tablet uses unless the wifi connection drops AND the cellular is turned ON for whatever app or feature is trying to use it.

I'm pretty sure anyways.

Most reactions

Latest posts