What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi Oddity - Strange - Linksys WAG320N

Arthur Hucksake

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Been having a rather odd problem getting this router setup. Connects to other Pcs fine, internet works etc.

It's the whole wireless issue agaaaain.

It's a dual band router, which puts up alarm bells right away... but... I can get it connecting fine under 5ghz , N-only mode, Channel Bandwidth Wide - 40hz.

Connects, absolutely no problems. Strong signal infact.

As soon as I drop it down to 2.4ghz and lower the bandwidth to standard channel 20mhz. It can barely hold a connection, even on forced N mode.

It just doesn't make any sense.

The problem this leaves me with, is for my gf's laptop I have to drop it 2.4ghz and then can't use the iPad.

Tried combinations involving Mixed B / G / N and still. No dice on 2.4ghz.

My old Belkin worked fine, but needed replacing. This is driving me crazy, not much help from Linksys Cisco neither.

I've got firmware 3.2.1 on the iPad too.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
if your using the same SSID as your old router go into wifi settings for that SSID and click the forget this network button. See if it connects good after that.

You can also go into settings > General > reset and try resetting all network settings for the ipad. This some times clears up problems that you just cant seem to solve otherwise.

OP
A

Arthur Hucksake

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Changed SSID, reset network settings on iPad (where it reboots).

Tried again.

Setup one on 2.4ghz, N-mode and wide channel. Connection falls over, drops to bottom near instantly.

New SSID for each test.

2.4ghz, standard channel 20mhz, G mode.

Again, connects fine then the WIFI signal just bombs.

Third attempt.

2.4ghz , B/G/N mixed, standard channel mode 20mhz.

Same problem, crashes down to nothingness.

Fourth attempt.

2.4Ghz, B/G/N Mixed, Wide channel mode 40mhz.

Fail.

It will only connect at 5Ghz, which Apple claim their devices don't support. I really don't get this mess.

Can't blame the router, other devices in the house get a really strong signal. Infact, strongest i've had setup on five different routers in this house.

I had these same problems with the Netgear DGN2000 I had a couple of days ago where Wireless N mode just wouldn't work at all with the iPad.

OP
A

Arthur Hucksake

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, seems to be fixed now. What a strange issue.

I enabled wireless MAC address filtering, added the iPad. Used it shortly, then disabled mac address filtering on the router, and booom. It's connected full bars ever since setup for N only, 40mhz wide channel and 2.4Ghz.

Weird.

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Arthur.

I have fiddled with a few routers to connect iPads to, and one solution that
worked for me in a couple of cases where I had connectivity issues was to
set the router to use a different channel.

One of the two was a Linksys.
It worked right away in both cases.

I do not know why this worked in these cases,
but it did.
Let us know if you get it working, or if you don't.

EDIT:
Ahh, while I was tapping away at my answer, I see you solved the problem.
Congratulations
!

Last edited:
OP
A

Arthur Hucksake

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's a strange old device, I am positive these issues are more software related than hardware though. That's some consolation.

It's dual banding on channels 8 and 6 , wide 40mhz and it's great.

Hitting 18Mbit on the speedtest.net app (iphone one) and I score just over 20Mbit on the laptop which is wired, so I cannot complain in the slightest.

Billee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been messing around with WiFi on my iPad for about a week and have tried every fix I could find from Apple and the internet. I'm convinced that my iPad (and others) have inherent intermittent WiFi problems. As with most intermittent problems, anything you do (as long as it takes some time) will fix the problem temporarily, including wiggling your ears.

I called Apple and explained that my wireless network works fine with a laptop, a WII, and two different iPods, but will not work with the iPad. Their response was "the problem could still be your network". Unbelievable!

This was my first purchase of an Apple product and it will be the last.

CheekyIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple replaced my iPad twice, have updated the software and all the correct security settings, n router and I still can't connect most of the time.

Most reactions

Latest posts