What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi info app

newfmp3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking for an app that will give me more info about wifi connections for netadmin purposes. Signal strength, available AP's, net speed, ip info, channel etc

Any suggestions?

Btw, excellent forum!

wbp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using WifiTrak for a couple of years - not an iPad app, but it works well.

wbp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wow, you're right, I just checked the App store and it's gone! Sorry ... So far I don't see anything else like it either.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ah shame about that. Thankfully I still have my old iPhone app which works really well on the iPad.
Are there any jailbreak ones do you know?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Ah shame about that. Thankfully I still have my old iPhone app which works really well on the iPad.
Are there any jailbreak ones do you know?

Yeah, YFY Nework Finder.

It was in the app store and once apple pulled it they moved it to cydia for jailbreak users.

OP
N

newfmp3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, this surprises me. I was hoping to use this thing for troubleshooting my cisco wlan, finding rogue ap's, configuring etc. It just seems like an excellent tool for such a thing instead of carrying my heavy laptop around.

Thanks though. I'm trying my best to not jailbreak, and I usually hack and mod everything I own but it's becoming harder and harder to avoid it with certain things that should be easy just are not.

Last edited:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Wow, this surprises me. I was hoping to use this thing for troubleshooting my cisco wlan, finding rogue ap's, configuring etc. It just seems like an excellent tool for such a thing instead of carrying my heavy laptop around.

Thanks though. I'm trying my best to not jailbreak, and I usually hack and mod everything I own but it's becoming harder and harder to avoid it with certain things that should be easy just are not.

The reason behind apple pulling the wifi scanning apps is this.

When you become a developer you agree to only use public framework in your app. Using private frameworks are not allowed because they are there just for apple apps and apple could change them at any time breaking your app in the process.

Apple has no public framework for getting wifi info, as far as they are concerned all wifi settings and connection are done within the ipad settings and no other apps need to access this. So in order to do things like scan for wifi hotspots these programs had to use the private frameworks that could change at any time in future iOS updates.

wbp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another example of Apple's arbitrary and heavy handed control of apps. It's such a great tool, too - I use it all the time when I'm setting up access points.

dinee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WifiTrack

This is still working on my iphone & ipad in Spain.

pcimaging

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just purchased inet . I am pleased with it but the inet pro version has more features. I believe it is what you want. Inet is in the app store.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I just purchased inet . I am pleased with it but the inet pro version has more features. I believe it is what you want. Inet is in the app store.

iNet pro doesnt scan for open networks. it scans for devices on the network your connected to. I purchased this app as well, spoke to the developer who made it and they don't plan on making an ipad version due to lack of sales. :(

Most reactions

Latest posts