What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wi-Fi Reception: mine is not good, how's yours?

pcorreia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad Wi-Fi, not the 3G model. Cool device but worst Wi-Fi out of like 12 Wi-Fi enabled devices in the house. Running a Linksys 802.11n Router which enables Wi-Fi on my iPhone way out in my yard. The iPad has trouble operating 3 rooms away from the Router in the house! It shows high signal strength but the IPad has to be turned particular ways to get transfers to occur. Anyway, I just downloaded the new OS that says something about improving Wi-Fi connectivity. I don't see a difference really.

Does anyone else have Wi-Fi issues?

Is there any fix?

FYI on August 18
Here is what resolved my issues:

BEFORE
Linksys WRT300NV1 Router using WEP ( a few years old for sure)

AFTER
Netgear WNDR3300 dual-band Router using WPA2

I had tried moving the Linksys around (antenna direction, etc.), it helped but still wasn't snappy response and sometimes just died. After I finally got the Netgear router talking with my Comcast modem, it worked normal and I'm satisfied now.

Last edited:

WAM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No WiFi problems anywhere in the house. Haven't tried outdoors.

Bruinboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No Problems Here

Seems to work fine for me ... In different cities and three different airports. At home I have an airport extreme router.

skippyman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I totally agree with pcor. Reception compared to a laptop of mine is much worse
I can see several neighborhood wifi's with the laptop but not with the iPad.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have a home WiFi router but my neighbor has one unsecured and I can't help but connecting to her signal by default.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yep, mine is much worse than a first gen iPod touch. I hope today's fix does the trick.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It Fixed My Problem too!

I get excellent connection every where in the house. IPad stays connected, no drops. I am a very happy user.

I am impressed with Apple's update process. It made me synch from my IPad to my laptop before it allowed me to update. Unlike upgrading from WinXP to Win7--what a nightmare that was!

OP
P

pcorreia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Found a bit more info

Apparently a few internet sites have referenced this issue. Also, I found on ifixit.com that the antenna is right behind the Apple logo on the back.

Here is what I did to fix my issue.... Turned the iPad upside down.

iPad right side up ( home button at bottom ) most sites take 30 seconds to come up if ever.

IPad upside down ( home button at top) sites come up rather snappy. Cool, but weird.

There must be some issue with polarization w the iPad antenna relative to the Wi-Fi Router antenna. Regardless it's pretty screwy to worry about how your iPad is rotated. Anyway, I experimented with multiple sites to make sure it wasn't server dependent. It isn't.

I' m going to try to reposition my router antenna tomorrow and see if that improves the situation any.

In the meantime, I'll be down side up!

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using a TrendNet G router and works great for me with all devices. Almost daily me, my dog and iPad walk over to our favorite resting spot in the park across the street. This is roughly 300 feet from my upstairs router. My iPad works great every time. I've downloaded magazines and games without a hitch.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Download the new ipad firmware in itunes. select your ipad and click the button to check for updates. the new firmware addresses the wifi issues.

antony6905

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had WIFI problems to and I found out one of my Apps was causing the problem.
The App causing the problem was "The Weather Channel"
Every time I installed the App my WIFI connection would get weak and then I was prompt with "Your not connected to the internet"? Once i uninstalled the app I had a strong signal and I wouldn't have and connections problems.
I reloaded the App and sure enough I had connections problems again.
My suggestion is to uninstall some of your apps one at a time and see if you wifi connection improves.. GOODLUCK

Most reactions