What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Verizon Mi-Fi Experience

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a wi-fi only iPad and want to take it on the road next month in my rv.

An acquaintance has reccomended the Verizon Five Spot wireless modem/router "hotspot" that connects up with the 3G cell phone network.

Has anyone had any experience with this device?

Thanks in advance for any input you can give me.

bamfsig45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my Droid x as my mifi, works great. I don't know how much I'd like it if more Than 1 or 2 were connected to it. 3G with one device is plenty, not sure how slow it'd be with 5. I'm sure the mifi device is same/similar as my Droid x.

srich123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MiFi

I use my MiFi as my main connection during the work day. I find that it is very speedy and fast to connect. For email and general internet use, it is almost as fast as my home wifi. The only negative is you only get about 3 hours of use out of a full charge. As it is rare for me to use the MiFi for more than a few minutes at a time during the day, this is not a problem for me. I keep a DC converter in my car to recharge the mifi if i need to during the day. Overall, I am very pleased with the MiFi.

maliu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the MIFI 2200. It has better ratings than the 5 spot on the Verizon website. Everywhere I go it gives me faster and more reliable connection than ATT 3G on my iPad. Get a car charger for it and you won't have to worry about battery life. Gets a big thumbs up from me. In fact I just discontinued my unlimited ATT plan because I found more and more the MIFI was better and it wasn't worth the extra $30 a month for both.

Chapco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so I was playing with a Tmobile Comet prepaid no contract droid phone for some work stuff. They sell $150 at radio shack (seen some for 75 on craigslist since)
Turns out you can turn on wifi tethering (hot spot) like a mifi device.
Tmobile will let you buy an unlimited Web day pass for under 2$.
Lots of 3G+ speeds, and in some. place greater speeds. The phone is capable of supporting AWS /HSPA+ (hardware limited to 7.2Mb)
Nice thing about no contract is once you unlock the SIM you can use other SIM from other ISP.

works so good been using it for work and in my RV and going to sell my verizon USB + router.

I tested the virgin mobile mifi and it works pretty good, but limited to lower speeds.

casey3557

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have the Verizon MIFI 2200 and it is a great device. Easy to set up and works as advertised. I have had no issues using it with any of our devices - iPad, laptop, iPod Touch, netbook, etc. Highly portable and lightweight. I am greatly pleased with it. :)

bukzin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the MIFI 2200. It has better ratings than the 5 spot on the Verizon website. Everywhere I go it gives me faster and more reliable connection than ATT 3G on my iPad. Get a car charger for it and you won't have to worry about battery life. Gets a big thumbs up from me. In fact I just discontinued my unlimited ATT plan because I found more and more the MIFI was better and it wasn't worth the extra $30 a month for both.

Will I be able to use the SIM card from my Verizon MiFi box in another devise? Mine is a Novatel 4510 from Millenicom running on Verizon. thanks

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a wi-fi only iPad and want to take it on the road next month in my rv.

An acquaintance has reccomended the Verizon Five Spot wireless modem/router "hotspot" that connects up with the 3G cell phone network.

Has anyone had any experience with this device?

Thanks in advance for any input you can give me.

Hi ... Had a Mi-Fi 2200for over two years ... $50 per month ... Live in country in river valley ... Quite slow data rates
... Better in town ... Never streamed movies as I would likely exceed 5 gb and don't like their penalty rates. Recently up graded to Mi-Fi 4-G 4510L ... Free upgrade but had to commit to two more years ... Okay. Am in Florida and able to connect to 4g network ... Much faster. I travel ... Works for me. The carriers are ripping us off with caps on data. They do it because they can. FWIW

Most reactions

Latest posts