What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why won't my Apple iPad 6th Gen block cookies?

Finless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't like COOKIES and being tracked and targeted for advertising so it is my preference to block all cookies. If I have to have cookies enabled to access a website (such as this site) then I turn them on until I'm done and then block all cookies again and clear ....... etc.

Despite having the COOKIES BLOCKED option turned on my iPad (6th Gen) still saves them?

Is there another setting that circumvents this option? On my iPad 4th Gen there were a range of cookie options to select from?

I'm getting seriously hissed off about this and I cannot find any info about this on the internet from my initial searches. There was a problem (never resolved) with the 4th Gen iPad that it wouldn't clear all cookies and some would be left permanently on the list. I wonder if this is another glitch?

I'm on SV 12.3.1

Last edited:

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
I’m looking at this on an iPad 6. Are you saying that clearing your history on your older iPad ( which mentions cookies on my 6) still leaves some behind? Just curious because I’m unaware of any other list that may be on there, or here,and want to know. L

OP
Finless

Finless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I’m looking at this on an iPad 6. Are you saying that clearing your history on your older iPad ( which mentions cookies on my 6) still leaves some behind? Just curious because I’m unaware of any other list that may be on there, or here,and want to know. L

It was a “known problem” on the iPad 4th Gen. I don't know/remember if the problem affected all 4th Gen iPads or just some. The 'factory reset' I did removed all cookies but, even now with my limited use since I bought my new iPad, I now have2 cookies that won't delete. Both are from Google and both are 'zero bytes' but it is annoying that they remain on the list after I have repeatedly opted to REMOVED ALL WEBSITE DATA.

To the best of my knowledge (which is quite limited) go to SETTINGS / SAFARI / ADVANCED / WEBSITE DATA in order to see what cookies are currently stored on your iPad.

The attached (I hope) image is of the cookies on my new 6th Gen iPad and l have BLOCK ALL COOKIES switched on.

Attachments

• 5A1BA07D-4266-4EB6-8C47-37916A8E1CDE.png
    5A1BA07D-4266-4EB6-8C47-37916A8E1CDE.png
    152.5 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Web data isn’t just cookies. Javascript is also capable of saving some data locally in Safari. You can turn off Javascript, but the impact to interactive websites like this one is hard to live with. Most of the advanced editing features are enabled by Javascript, including saving drafts in case you’re knocked off line in mid post.

While Javascript can be used to track you, it isn’t because of the locally saved data; which has more built in limitations than the traditional cookies with their third party accessibility. (I’m pretty sure Apple always blocks third party cookies these days, which is why it is no longer an option in settings.)

The best way to prevent the saving of cookies or Javascript data is to do your browsing in Private mode. All site data is deleted when the site’s tab is closed. This also has some downsides, but they are easier to live with than turning of Javascript.

As for the data that won’t go away, it’s probably corrupted file header data. It may go away on it’s own, eventually, but probably not. A major update might fix it, or it might persist until the iPad is restored. I’ve never had Safari do this, but one or two other apps have had stuck files in the past.

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
I just looked and manually deleted all (about 12) but 4 or so, including anything marked Google....which I`m pretty sure will be baaacckk, but all evacuated the premises just fine. BTW, thanks for the info on where to find that, I never dug that deep in my Safari settings before, Cool! I`ve never really cared about having cookies anyhow, but it is intriguing.

Most reactions

Latest posts