What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Jobs Flash explanation doesn't make sense

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My understanding of the situation is that all web sites are built with either XTML or HTML4. HTML5 uses the best features of both, but includes video components. Future video streaming is expected to require one of two formats; H.264 which is controlled by a consortium led by Apple. They have promised that it will be an open standard, but Google says they lie. Google is promoting their open source standard, WebM. Google will not support H.364, but an app is in the works for iOS to use WebM. YouTube has converted 95% of the most popular video to the WebM format.

BTW, I think WebM requires HTML5, just like H.264.

H.264 is not controlled by a consortium led by apple. They have not promised it will be an open standard. Google never said they lied.

h.264 contains patented algorithms which need to be licensed. MPEG-LA is the sole private company that issues licenses. They have claimed that they will never charge for h.264 internet video that is free to end users, but they continue to collect royalties for applications that encode/decode said video.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Licensors

The following organizations hold one or more patents in the H.264/AVC patent pool.[14]
I have an impression from readings that the Apple patents in this are very significant, so I can assume they have significant control/leadership in this standard. The issueing of licenses to developers is nothing new, and is what Adobe does with Flash. Where Google is not telling the truth, is that every bit of software is patented. Otherwise, it falls open to misappropriation. Even if it can be fought and won in courts around the world, it will take money, and that is why you cannot just throw a standard out into the slipstream. It takes money to develop, improve and protect any software.
A WebM file consists of VP8 video and Vorbis audio streams, in a container based on a profile of Matroska. The project releases WebM related software under a BSD license and all users are granted a worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free patent license. Despite this, some in the industry have called upon Google to provide indemnification against patent suits

Last edited:

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Licensors

I have an impression from readings that the Apple patents in this are very significant, so I can assume they have significant control/leadership in this standard. ]

Actually, if you research it a little bit it seems that Apple has only one patent (edit: they now appear to have four) in the .H264 pool so I would say aside from their aggressive stance in pushing the standard they probably have very little control or leadership of the standard. Other companies such as Microsoft (which has over 70 patents in the pool) probably have much more control over the standard.

http://www.mpegla.com/main/programs/avc/Documents/avc-att1.pdf

As an aside, MPEG-LA is the group that represents all of the patent holders and grants licensing to use .H264. Other companies like AT&T have patents related to .H264 that are outside of the MPEG-LA pool and those must be negotiated separately.

Last edited:

pawnslinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From a purely design perspective, I wonder if the use of Flash was really necessary to create that webpage... It's not a Flash bashing comment, but a critic on the technology used to display their products. All of this can be done using HTML and Ajax/JavaScript... I just hate the overuse of Flash on some websites (not related to the iPad, same feeling goes on the PC)... I've navigated the site on my PC and essentially, it's just a fancy way to display product information... No special animations, no sound, no movies... Just plain text and pictures... Overall, they are using Flash as a basic webpage browser, inside my browser. Does not make any sense on the design level.

Flash is amazing for games, specific navigation, simulations, media broadcasting... But when used in this way, it's a pain.

VicoPad addict!

This is caused by large organization standards adoption. It is a mentality that some large organizations use to adopt a standard. Once adopted, it is darn hard to change, and stifles all innovation.

I am retired, but my son works at a large organization, and they have adopted Flash as their standard for application and web design. He lobbied strongly against it, but the bean counters won out. So now they use Flash for all their web pages, whether it is needed or not. And they have adopted a style for all their web pages too... UGH!

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My opinion is that mentality has a lot to do with the situation with Flash today. The bean counter rule. It is also why we need people like Steve Jobs to push things into a situation where even the bean counters can see the folly of worn out technology. It also helps when the CEO gets mad because he cannot check the company website out on his iPad.

Axis360

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, flash missing causes me to not be able to navigate to some web sites but I do think we will get the best. HTML5 is a better choice and we have that. Flash has issues and you see a whole better experience when we move on as does the web.
For now a few short comings for the future a better experience. Something I have had to say as a Mac user from way back, now look what the Mac can do? Besides just change it's name, now to Apple.

Most reactions

Latest posts