What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Jobs Flash explanation doesn't make sense

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is an app called Skyfire that supposedly allows the iPad to use Flash. I have not had a chance to look into this yet so I don't know how well it works. But it's an option worth considering. You might want to look it up on Youtube and see if there's any reviews for it.

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
romanr said:
Or do the rest of you just say, "screw it, I didn't need to go there anyways?" That's just not an option for me but maybe I'm just unlucky.

Could be unlucky. I don't NEED to go to any websites on my iPad - it's a luxury, not something I need in order to do my job. I honestly find very few that have content that I might care about that requires Flash. Likely we're just looking for different types of websites. I'm not much of a random surfer - I mostly visit a set of maybe thirty or forty websites fairly regularly.

On a related note, yesterday my wife asked me to check out a website that brought her computer to its knees. Oddly, it was pretty snappy on my iPad. You guessed it, there was some bizarre and completely superfluous Flash junk going on. She was able to do everything that she needed on. The website from the iPad where she couldn't do much of anything from her laptop. She's now considering a Flash blocker like I've been using for a year.

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not just you. Whenever I want to go on th Huffington Post, I just browse from my Droid X, because most articles are accompanied by a video of some sort, and most are Flash. They aggregate videos from other sites, so it's not just one. I also can't watch the Daily Show, the Colbert Report, go to HBO.com, watch the WhiteHouse.gov live streams, or any live streams for that matter. With the exception of YouTube, sites that use HTML5 are in the minority in my experience. The idea that we should accept the iPad as perfect because we bought it is disingenuous. It is the best tablet out there, but Flash is necessary for a full browsing experience. It's just upsetting to me that it isn't even allowed because Steve Jobs doesn't like it.

On the other hand, I think I understand Apple's line of thinking. If it was developed by Adobe and wasn't very good, then the iPad would be seen as less than perfect. It's true, Flash isn't perfect on Android. It's not as seamless as playing video that it natively supports and the buttons are sometimes too small to touch (although this wouldn't be a problem on the iPad). Someone who wasn't familiar with technology might blame the iPad for it's mediocre performance. This would probably only be a problem on the iPad 1 as the iPad 2 is more than powerful enough to support it without issue.

I think Adobe should develop it and put it on Cydia. I would love to see Steve's face when he heard that. Half the world would start jailbreaking.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Look folks, Flash is a FEATURE. iPad lacks that feature (frankly it doesn't NEED it and it's better off without it). Just like it lacks the feature of a USB port. Or an SD card slot. SO. FRIGGIN'. WHAT.

If you don't like that the iPad doesn't have these features and/or others, then take it back and get a Xoom, a Playbook, a Galaxy Tab or wait for some vaporware and quit yer bellyachin'. THAT'S the choice you get. Why settle for less than what you want? Apple is not required to put Flash in because YOU and a million other people want it. It's THEIR product and they'll put features in according to their own research for product effectiveness and efficiency as well as that brought on by customers' suggestions.

I, for one, DO wish Apple would make a Flash-enabled iPad...JUST ONE...without any other changes to the device, to prove to the world once and for all that Flash will have a negative effect on two of the iPad's biggest success points: performance and battery life. And put this whole, stupid Flash argument to REST.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Get sky fire for flash video and logmein for flash sites.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
horse.gif

TheX

iPF Novice
Reaction score

You can say that again

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
^^^^ROFLMAO!!!

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

While

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mtnmedic said:
Look folks, Flash is a FEATURE. iPad lacks that feature (frankly it doesn't NEED it and it's better off without it). Just like it lacks the feature of a USB port. Or an SD card slot. SO. FRIGGIN'. WHAT.

If you don't like that the iPad doesn't have these features and/or others, then take it back and get a Xoom, a Playbook, a Galaxy Tab or wait for some vaporware and quit yer bellyachin'. THAT'S the choice you get. Why settle for less than what you want? Apple is not required to put Flash in because YOU and a million other people want it. It's THEIR product and they'll put features in according to their own research for product effectiveness and efficiency as well as that brought on by customers' suggestions.

I, for one, DO wish Apple would make a Flash-enabled iPad...JUST ONE...without any other changes to the device, to prove to the world once and for all that Flash will have a negative effect on two of the iPad's biggest success points: performance and battery life. And put this whole, stupid Flash argument to REST.

Some of us love the iPad but tink it's unfair not to have flash. Even if flash is a closed system and might make the iPad work harder it really think apple are not implementing if because then everybody could play games , watch every tv channel , watch movies uploaded on a lot of websites , basically they would loose more then 50% of the AppStore and iTunes customers the first day flash comes out .
So don't get me wrong but the lack of flash makes it less of a laptop replacer .
Let's just hope every one would implement html5 as soon as possible ... Right Tim?:))

Sent from my Blackberry...nah...just kidding

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
While said:
Some of us love the iPad but tink it's unfair not to have flash. Even if flash is a closed system and might make the iPad work harder it really think apple are not implementing if because then everybody could play games , watch every tv channel , watch movies uploaded on a lot of websites , basically they would loose more then 50% of the AppStore and iTunes customers the first day flash comes out .
So don't get me wrong but the lack of flash makes it less of a laptop replacer .
Let's just hope every one would implement html5 as soon as possible ... Right Tim?:))

Sent from my Blackberry...nah...just kidding

I get it, but...how is it "unfair" that Apple doesn't implement Flash on its own product? That implies a sense of entitlement. It's like vilifying Chevy for being "unfair" because they don't put in a sunroof on every model of their most popular car (because maybe there's a design reason not to).

As a laptop replacer, my iPad has been just that. Since getting the first one in last May, my laptop -an HP TABLET PC with a true WACOM tablet-has been up and running only for updates and as a stand-alone telescope/astrophotography operating unit during observing sessions. Other than that, it's mainly a backup PC.

HTML5 is picking up steam. It won't be long before the Flash funeral begins.

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Flash is a big part of the web.

There are very few things on the web that iOS doesn't handle.

I think it's reasonable to complain about the lack of Flash.

My 2-year-old daughter loves my iPad and uses a dozen or so GREAT apps that I find both fascinating and educational.

But we can't go to NickJR.com or the Thomas the Tank Engine site or even Disney's web presence without losing MAJOR sections of it's functionality.

Once the Android tablets shake out I WILL be buying an Android 7" Tablet for her.

THE ONLY REASON it won't be an iPad is Flash.

Now, where is that dead horse? It needs more flogging!

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has always been the one who will make the leap of faith. They and almost every expert out there knows that Flash is the past, not the future. And like many times in the past, Apple has dropped support for outdated technology. The result is other manufacturers have to work to move forwarded. The sites that use Flash have been making the move to HTML5 ten times as fast as they would have without the iPad and iPhone. Every day, more and more sites are dumping or allowing alternatives to Flash.

Just think, in five years, children will be asking, "Daddy, what is Flash?".

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seadog said:
Apple has always been the one who will make the leap of faith. They and almost every expert out there knows that Flash is the past, not the future. And like many times in the past, Apple has dropped support for outdated technology. The result is other manufacturers have to work to move forwarded. The sites that use Flash have been making the move to HTML5 ten times as fast as they would have without the iPad and iPhone. Every day, more and more sites are dumping or allowing alternatives to Flash.

Just think, in five years, children will be asking, "Daddy, what is Flash?".

Yep. Reminds me of that Robot Chicken Zune Man sketch (I'm a Zune lover so don't hate on me, Zune lovers!)...

Steve Jobs: "Who are YOU?"

Zune Man: "I'm ZUNE!"

Steve Jobs: (short laugh) "What a terrible design."

Zune Man: (kneeling in front of Jobs, who is holding a loaded pistol): "Make it quick."

Steve Jobs: "I don't want to waste the bullet." Then walks away.

Zune Man: "Please....don't leave me like this! NOOOOooooooooo"

Boy, walking with his dad as they pass by Zune Man in his moment of despair: "Dad, what's that?"

Man: "Well...I think it's a pager."

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SD slots and USB ports are hardware. Flash is software. It wouldn't cost any money to Apple for Adobe to develop Flash for iOS; they just have to *not* disallow it. Are the Chinese not allowed to complain that their government is blocking websites? After all, they can always move, right?

Instead of making an iPad with Flash to show everyone it won't work, they could just let Adobe develop it for all. If it sucks, everyone will uninstall it. What is the argument against this? If Apple knew it was going to be terrible, then they would let Adobe port Flash to iOS and have it fail. Clearly they do not believe this will happen. That vaporware known as Flash for Android has a feature that prevents Flash videos from running until you click on it, so it's not doing anything unless you want it to.

I have a hard time believing that all of the Flash bashers wouldn't be praising Apple for having it if it wasn't out on iOS before any other mobile OSs.

Most reactions

Latest posts