What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is iPad 3 behind in specs?

rushmore69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad could easily do with an SD card slot.

Yep. Design it so only only media can be used and no data read write tasks that use the cpu. That way, security will not be compromised and more space with internal space for apps.

I am already tapped out with a 64GB iPad. Does not take as long as some think, with larger apps, comics and videos. I do not even have space for tunes.

I wonder how much business the market loses due to storage space constraints?

Last edited:

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yep. Design it so only only media can be used and no data read write tasks that use the cpu. That way, security will not be compromised and more space with internal space for apps.

I am already tapped out with a 64GB iPad. Does not take as long as some think, with larger apps, comics and videos. I do not even have space for tunes.

Ok, you are the perfect person to ask this question to then.

How much would you be willing to pay for a small box (half the size of the iPhone 4) that took any size SDHC card that could act as a wireless bonjour service provider for music, video and pictures?

And lets say the box can be wall powered or battery powered and could last 24 hours on that battery.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think most people find that the high cost of data service to be a higher priority than needing more storage. But that is a lot of the issue. Everyone has a different requirement. I have a 32 Gb iPad and have no problems as long as I avoid having several videos and my full music cataloq installed. There are several options for adding storage to the iPad, but they are expensive. SD cards are handy things, but right now, why would a person want one above 16 Gb? When they get to 32Gb and above, they are expensive to use. To be honest, I prefer to have a bunch of small, cheap SD cards of around 256/512 Mb so that I can send files to others and forget about the cost, but I cannot find them anymore. It just goes to show how everyone has different needs.

There are several devices in the $100-200 range that provide added memory for the iPad. It is not like people are forced to do without. Just that it requires another piece of hardware.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a 64GB 4G iPad 3. I have about 18 GB free. I still have an air stash...and I have several SD cards...at least two of them are 32GB and several more are 16 GBs and 8GB. I practically have infinite storage. Movies and music can go on those cards. I even have a little box that holds 4 SD cards. Tiny things.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The business world is, and will be moving further into cloud based operations. I have several friends that have company issued iPad 2s and they are all 16GB 3G models. With business based operation people are not putting their music and videos on them.

OP
I

ipadetheridge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog, 7200 does face longtivity issues over a 5400 I heard. straight Solid State Drive do not write info fast enough with 30+ tracks loaded with vst effects. Hybids are the more future prove for audio engineering for sure.

I think a $599 Mac Mini, upgrading my RAM myself to 8gb, and buying a external thunderbolt drive will be more than enough :)

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seadog, 7200 does face longtivity issues over a 5400 I heard. straight Solid State Drive do not write info fast enough with 30+ tracks loaded with vst effects. Hybids are the more future prove for audio engineering for sure.

I think a $599 Mac Mini, upgrading my RAM myself to 8gb, and buying a external thunderbolt drive will be more than enough :)

I happen to own twelve 6 gigabit SAS 15K RPM Hard Drives. They are the fastest platter based HDs on the planet right now. The best read speed they can maintain is 200 MegaBytes a second. And they don't even come close to the speeds of the SSD drives currently on the market. Which happens to be 520 MegaBytes per second for the roughly the same size drive and cost. So your statement that a SSD is not fast enough or not able to handle the required I/O operations per second is 100% BOGUS. In fact you couldn't be more wrong if you tried at this point.

I suggest you get on Newegg and go read the specs for these drives before you type anything else on the subject matter.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipadetheridge said:

Hackintosh.

Sent from K48

OP
I

ipadetheridge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am talking from people with experience with SSD mixing audio at continuous writing. They face issues of stability compared to HDD. Reaper and other demanding DAWs, encourage using 2 faster HDD than 5400 or Hybrid drives. Then again this was when they first where getting popular so things might have changed in SSD world. One thing is for sure, Reaper does not run well on one solid SSD at this point. ProTools is so over priced/rated and hyped its not even funny so I see why they would scam people into spending more on SSD just as they do with Digidesign. Maybe 2 SSD but that is pricey when a quality HDD does it fine at larger storage. These are not my opinions, they are others experiences with audio engineers. Why are you being so heated towards me? Be nice bro ha.
If you have better advice, that's fine. Like I said SSD might be better for mixing since the last i heard about them being terrible was about 3 years ago.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bio bunny, I am interested in turning a HP Envy to Hackintosh.

You can't.

A hackintosh requires you to buy very specific parts to mimic the hardware used in modern Macs. Otherwise OSX won't run properly on the PC.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am talking from people with experience with SSD mixing audio at continuous writing. They face issues of stability compared to HDD. Reaper and other demanding DAWs, encourage using 2 faster HDD than 5400 or Hybrid drives. Then again this was when they first where getting popular so things might have changed in SSD world. One thing is for sure, Reaper does not run well on one solid SSD at this point. ProTools is so over priced/rated and hyped its not even funny so I see why they would scam people into spending more on SSD just as they do with Digidesign. Maybe 2 SSD but that is pricey when a quality HDD does it fine at larger storage. These are not my opinions, they are others experiences with audio engineers. Why are you being so heated towards me? Be nice bro ha.
If you have better advice, that's fine. Like I said SSD might be better for mixing since the last i heard about them being terrible was about 3 years ago.

You state information that is factually wrong. And I don't mean just a little bit wrong, I am talking 85% or more wrong. So until you post something that is correct, I will continue to correct your posts. Because bad information is worse than no information. Simple as that.

And SSD drives have been outperforming platter based HDDs for at least two years. It is literally part of my job description to know this stuff off the top of my head in case one of my 2600+ clients call me for information.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipadetheridge said:

Dude, you might want to consider that you've said you heard all this bad stuff and when pressed about it you admit your information is 3 years out of date. You may just want to admit that up front then no one would be peeved about your statements.

I mean 3 years in technology is an eternity. The information that you are talking about is from a time before iPads existed.

OP
I

ipadetheridge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your right, sorry for my ambiguous post. It's clear the other daw forums have no clue what they are talking about ha. I should have posted what I received from them first before I made this post. Sorry guys. Mac Mini with SSD is my best bet.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skull One said:
You can't.

A hackintosh requires you to buy very specific parts to mimic the hardware used in modern Macs. Otherwise OSX won't run properly on the PC.

There's no harm trying, as long as the disk is legal. Also, Hackintoshes don't need very specific parts that mimic a Mac, I've seen (video) some Tablets running OSX (no VM). I've researched Hackintoshes, and even though I know nothing about motherboards, I know that the hardware on the PC does not necessarily need to mimic Macs to run Mac OS X (meaning without virtualization).

Sent from K48

Edit: also if you're interested in Hackintoshing, don't ask me, google it!

Most reactions