What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is iPad 3 behind in specs?

ipadetheridge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is not until i purchase the new ipad that i find*out that though it is perfect for my needs,*its far behind in specs.This is typical of Apple to be under spec'ed considering the Macbook Pro is underwelming in every hardware dimention. I was not expecting it to be the same for ipad. At the end of the day i am happy with the ipad on the weight of cons vs pros. I was under the impression that Apple will see a fall in sales and rep for thier lack in specs in both Macs and ipads. With quality andriod tablets coming out with real quadcore graphics and much more RAM, apple will have to up the game. Apple needs to stop charging such high prices for such a low spec'ed machine. For $500 i saw much justice in my ipad purchase, same for itouch. As for MAC, its very underwelming if you look deep under the hood compared to quality PC's of same price.

what are the main future impressions of ipad 3? maybe better utilizing of the graphics engine because i see no real differ compared to the ipad 2 to make me jump my pants. my hopes to far up?

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Far behind in what specs??????

Dual core 1Ghz CPU.
Quade Core GPU.
1 GB of RAM.
226 PPI screen.

The reason Android tablets need 1.5 Ghz dual cores or quad core CPUs is so than can KEEP UP WITH the iPad. Android apps are running in the Dalvik VM which adds overhead. Plus their Java apps tend to be bloated with so many permissions that run in background it requires serious speed just to mask the issue from the end user.

Yeah, if you think you got ripped off, please take the iPad back ASAP and get an Android tablet. I can't wait to hear how you are doing after six months with Android.

The day Android switches to native applications like iOS is the day I will reconsider using Android after the debacle that was the Xoom and the next two generation of tablets.

Rends

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What is unreal with the quadcore graphics on the iPad?

And by the way there will always be other units beating Apple Devices on hardware specs.
But the specs were never the main part why Apple was and will be successfull. It's also the operating system.
Combine both and you know why the iPads are leading.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well your impression that iPad sales will drop certainly have not happened yet, and especially given Apple's earnings report this week I do not see that happening anytime soon. Remember hardware is only one of the many things that make an efficient tablet. You can have a tablet that has alienware specs but if it does not have a great operating system it is all for not. All you need to do to prove this is take an iPhone and a high end android phone and turn them on. Right after they turn on enter a function that allows you to enter text and you will notice how an android will lag, even though it has a higher processor than the iPhone. As for ram, I see no reason why a tablet needs more than 1GB given what you use a tablet for unless you plan to somehow play a game like X Plane while at the same time listen to music and send emails as well.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Please just take your iPad 3 back now...hurry up. Get some Android that will have the specs you so greatly desire...and then next year it will have practically no resale value....while in the meantime it will be force closing on you. :)

tritium

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is not until i purchase the new ipad that i find*out that though it is perfect for my needs,*its far behind in specs.This is typical of Apple to be under spec'ed considering the Macbook Pro is underwelming in every hardware dimention. I was not expecting it to be the same for ipad. At the end of the day i am happy with the ipad on the weight of cons vs pros. I was under the impression that Apple will see a fall in sales and rep for thier lack in specs in both Macs and ipads. With quality andriod tablets coming out with real quadcore graphics and much more RAM, apple will have to up the game. Apple needs to stop charging such high prices for such a low spec'ed machine. For $500 i saw much justice in my ipad purchase, same for itouch. As for MAC, its very underwelming if you look deep under the hood compared to quality PC's of same price.

what are the main future impressions of ipad 3? maybe better utilizing of the graphics engine because i see no real differ compared to the ipad 2 to make me jump my pants. my hopes to far up?

Stinks of troll...

OP
I

ipadetheridge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hmm.. all my blog stated was that i was hoping the ipad would have consolidated alot more punch inside its shell. Also, i am not stating a android vs ios. its more*spec vs spec in hardware. i was hoping the ipad was similar to the quadcores in the tablets but they are not. i am not taking my ipad back for the fact it does what i want it to do with out crashes. sorry if i was misleading.

still have not answered*my questions

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hmm.. all my blog stated was that i was hoping the ipad would have consolidated alot more punch inside its shell. Also, i am not stating a android vs ios. its more*spec vs spec in hardware. i was hoping the ipad was similar to the quadcores in the tablets but they are not. i am not taking my ipad back for the fact it does what i want it to do with out crashes. sorry if i was misleading.

What were your particular questions because I addressed the points you made.

OP
I

ipadetheridge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What were your particular questions because I addressed the points you made.

from my research, it says the ipad 2 trails the ipad 3 in graphics not far behind. considering the graphics are doubled on the ipad 3....i was wondering when developers where going to start utilizing its potential? if developors will even dish the funds to utilize all four cores. Kinda like how the ps3 is only using 3 cores of its 7 only because funding the development would be sky high

Maybe i am confused. 2 cores of cpu and 4 core of gpu? or...2 cores if cpu and the other 2 used to control the more demanding retina screen? i was under the impression the gpu and cpu where one in the same sorta like the AMD A series.

Last edited:

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score

You only asked two question. The first question makes no logical sense since the iPad (3rd Gen) is already here yet you asked about "future impressions". The second is impossible to answer because it is based on your opinion.

Do you have any other questions that you believe we should have inferred from your opinion?

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
from my research, it says the ipad 2 trails the ipad 3 in graphics not far behind. considering the graphics are doubled on the ipad 3....i was wondering when developers where going to start utilizing its potential? if developors will even dish the funds to utilize all four cores. Kinda like how the ps3 is only using 3 cores of its 7 only because funding the development would be sky high

Maybe i am confused. 2 cores of cpu and 4 core of gpu? or...2 cores if cpu and the other 2 used to control the more demanding retina screen? i was under the impression the gpu and cpu where one in the same sorta like the AMD A series.

You stated that the iPad was inferior yet you don't know the difference between a CPU and GPU? And your first paragraph shows you don't understand the difference between pixels and graphics. I believe you have a lot more research ahead of you and I can see why your opinion is so misguided.

OP
I

ipadetheridge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You only asked two question. The first question makes no logical sense since the iPad (3rd Gen) is already here yet you asked about "future impressions". The second is impossible to answer because it is based on your opinion.

Do you have any other questions that you believe we should have inferred from your opinion?

Skull, I meant future attentions in effort to utilize the potential gpu of the iPad 3. My words are ambiguous because I was typing fast on my new external keyboard in which I am taking back haha.

OP
I

ipadetheridge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You stated that the iPad was inferior yet you don't know the difference between a CPU and GPU? And your first paragraph shows you don't understand the difference between pixels and graphics. I believe you have a lot more research ahead of you and I can see why your opinion is so misguided.

Skull, no one asked for your sarcasm bro.

Let start over with a more literal question: What is Apples future goals in utilizing the potential of the new iPads GPU? I know the difference in the CPU and GPU. If they provide 4 cores to administer graphics, surely they will develope apps that will better use it's potential. Right now, compared the the iPad 2, they are not that far off in comparison. I assume developers will create games just for iPad 3 and leave the iPad 2 users hanging.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score

They are not the same. The CPU's of the 2 and 3 are pretty much the same, but the 3 doubles the processing power of the graphics (GPU) due to the quadcore graphics chip. I would think with the the resolution being what it is that most of this power is being used by the display. As far as developers making specific games for it only time will tell.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You say the ipad is behind in specs...yet, it has the highest resolution of any tablet and most PCs around...and there are games that use this resolution and the multiple cores in the GPU. In fact, iOS on the iPad has the best games anywhere, in terms of resolution...saying that the iPad 3 is behind on specs is just showing that you aren't keeping up on tech.

Most reactions