What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does my ipad ask me to for my itunes password all day?

mhalstern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I asked this at the Apple store. The staff was unable to help me. My Ipad asks me for my itunes password all day long. Sometimes, It can be 5 minutes after I signed in. I've signed out of itunes and rebooted the device. This does not help. I've upgraded the ios since I the problem started. This has not helped. I don;t have any apps needing updates.

This is extremely annoying as the screen focus is taken away in the middle of games and other activities.

Can somebody please make this go away and never come back.

Thank you

skatealex2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same here. I really hope they fix this, its a pretty stupid glitch. Im even considering calling apple to complain to them ;)

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try this. Close all apps. Soft reset; Hold down the HOME, bottom button, and the SLEEP, top button, for about 10 seconds until the Apple icon appears. Allow it to reboot, it may take a few minutes, don't panic like I did, wait for it to reboot. This fixes many weird things on iDevices. Worth a shot.:)

lanimae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I asked this at the Apple store. The staff was unable to help me. My Ipad asks me for my itunes password all day long. Sometimes, It can be 5 minutes after I signed in. I've signed out of itunes and rebooted the device. This does not help. I've upgraded the ios since I the problem started. This has not helped. I don;t have any apps needing updates.

This is extremely annoying as the screen focus is taken away in the middle of games and other activities.

Thank you
I had this happen with my iPhone4 and had fixed it by the time I got my iPad. In my case APPS were trying to update themselves from the wrong account, eg not the account the iPad was signed in to. My solution was to ditch all the apps on the other apple ID and redownlad them under the single ID which I now use for everything. NOTE: all the of the apps luckily were free. I'm not sure how you would go if there were paid apps on both ID's but it took me forever to get to the bottom of this. I can guaranty that is what the problem is.

Last edited:

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This was the exact issue. The iPad was originally used by someone else, who had installed a few free apps, using their iTunes account information. After I deleted these apps, the password prompting stopped. Somebody should add this to the board FAQ, and require all apple store employees, especially the genius bar people, to be aware of this solution. This has been going on for months and driving me up a wall! It is no longer relevant for me, but I wonder what the logic was behind the authentication requests. Is this some Apple security gone wild? The itunes store showed that the apps were up to date, but this was clearly related to the other user account having downloaded and installed the apps. Is this something that Apple actively discourages, which caused the frequent popups?

Thank you so much!

Thank you
I had this happen with my iPhone4 and had fixed it by the time I got my iPad. In my case APPS were trying to update themselves from the wrong account, eg not the account the iPad was signed in to. My solution was to ditch all the apps on the other apple ID and redownlad them under the single ID which I now use for everything. NOTE: all the of the apps luckily were free. I'm not sure how you would go if there were paid apps on both ID's but it took me forever to get to the bottom of this. I can guaranty that is what the problem is.

lanimae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exactly. I didn't know any of the Apps wanted updating either. I had updated them all on my laptop. But the iPhone still needed updating because it was logging into a different account. I would have thought the genius bar people would have known this and made it happen while I was there but it took me to fiddle around with it myself to fix it. Now I have only one account the problem has never come back. It might also be worth noting that 3 other friends had the same problem and I fixed it for them asd well so there is no doubt that it does actually work.

This was the exact issue. The iPad was originally used by someone else, who had installed a few free apps, using their iTunes account information. After I deleted these apps, the password prompting stopped. Somebody should add this to the board FAQ, and require all apple store employees, especially the genius bar people, to be aware of this solution. This has been going on for months and driving me up a wall! It is no longer relevant for me, but I wonder what the logic was behind the authentication requests. Is this some Apple security gone wild? The itunes store showed that the apps were up to date, but this was clearly related to the other user account having downloaded and installed the apps. Is this something that Apple actively discourages, which caused the frequent popups?

Thank you so much!

Thank you

Tcbuttle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It has been happening to me but only when using messenger. I'll try some of the suggestions in the thread.

Most reactions

Latest posts