What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does default email change by recipient

OHTXGirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have multiple email accounts set up on my iPad. The default is a gmail account. For some reason when I type in recipients email, the default for me that pops in is not necessarily my gmail. I have to remember to change it! How can I stop this from happening. I have a default for a reason! Help!

OP
O

OHTXGirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The default email address applies to emails sent outside the Apple Mail App.
i am using the standard email app that came with my iPad. When I create an email, I type in the recipient email and the default email does not pop in to the “from” email slot. It pops in another one of my email addresses. It is almost as if the recipient is tied to the “from” email address.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The email that appears in the box will relate to the email that is currently showing on the screen. If it is not the email you wish to use you will need to select another.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The default email account is set in Settings > Mail > Default Account (at the very bottom of the list). When using email from another app via the share sheet, or creating a brand new email in the email app, this account should be automatically used. If you reply to another email (however indirectly) the account that received the email will be used to send the reply.

From your description, it sounds like Apple Mail may also remember if you’ve always sent/received emails using a single account before, and (helpfully?) decided to use that account.

I’ve never heard of this before, and have no idea how to bypass it. Maybe, if you make sure you change you From address/account manually and they reply using that accounts address a few times this behavior will revert back to the default account. No idea.

For the few accounts that I absolutely have to keep isolated from each other, I use third party mail apps.

Most reactions