What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ICloud Email

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Please can anyone help with a mystery. I recently added an iCoud email address to my iPad2 (I already have a gmail and yahoo account on it).

I set the default account as iCloud and then composed a message in Notes and sent it via the email client. The new iCloud address appeared in the From/Cc section, but seconds later the message appeared in the sent folder of my GMail account!

Is there anything else I can do to ensure that a message goes from my new iCloud address?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Go to Settings - Mails, Contacts, Calendars, tap the iCloud account and make sure that in Advanced in the Outgoing Mail Server (SMPT) your primary server is iCloud SMTP server and enabled.

OP
Jupiter7

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello J.A. I have just checked. The SMPT server for iCloud is enabled and switched on and the Gmail one is switched off.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Weird.

Is there a Sent folder in your iCloud account in Mail? Is the sender of that email still the iCloud email address, or is it your Gmail address?

Last edited:
OP
Jupiter7

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Sent message appeared in GMail both in the main in box as a cc to me and in the Google sent box (that's what drew my attention to the puzzle).

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In Settings - Mails, Contacts, Calendars - Mail: did you enable "Always Bcc myself"? If so, turn it off. You get a duplicate of the message into your Inbox.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And here's another idea:

Look at Settings - Mails, ... - iCloud - Mail - Advanced - Sent Mailbox. Mine looks like this:
image.jpg

OP
Jupiter7

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Joanne, I have just been sending messages via Notes to my other addresses from my iCloud address and it now all appears to be working as it should do. Perhaps the first one was one of those strange inexplicable phenomena you get in computing, but many thanks for your suggestions anyway.

Most reactions