What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does apple block what the iPad can do?

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because Apple is all about control. They are a bunch of douchbags that think that they know better than the user.

I can assure you that is not true 90% of the time.
I assume by this comment, by comparing the principles of the company to a feminine hygiene product, that you are implying that the folks employed at One Infinite Loop are not doing a very good job of running the company.

The latest figures indicate that Apple's net worth is $222 billion which isn't too shabby considering Microsoft's net worth is a paltry $219 billion. So I guess they aren't totally clueless in Cupertino!

This reminds me of something the late Mary Kay Ash (the founder of Mary Kay Cosmetics) said in an interview. The writer told Mary Kay that she thought that the pink Cadillacs that the company gave to their top salespeople were the ugliest cars on the road to which Mary Kay responded, "What color Cadillac did your company give you?"

So my question to you, since you seem to know more about what it takes to run a computer hardware and software company than Apple, "What is the net worth of your computer company?"

You made no sense whatsoever....did you quote the correct person?

I stand by my remark.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think that anyone will confuse your comment about Apple being "a bunch of douchbags" as high praise for the way in which they run the company. My point was, that especially in this economy, Apple seems to be putting out products that a great many people want! I am sure the people in the accounting department will disagree with your assertion that Apple knows better than the users only 10% of the time!

OP
B

Bill-fl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And for the record, the iPad can be used for live preview. MyWi, mixed with a pro eye-fi sd card. Google it.

Mywi is only for a jail broken device.

I am know thinking about going at this a different way. I am wondering if one of the phones that can be a hot spot wifi access could be used as the network access point for the eyefi card and the iPad. I have questions in to motorola and htc as none of the carriers could answer me.

I guess I need to just suck it up and buy the aluratek router.

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think that anyone will confuse your comment about Apple being "a bunch of douchbags" as high praise for the way in which they run the company. My point was, that especially in this economy, Apple seems to be putting out products that a great many people want! I am sure the people in the accounting department will disagree with your assertion that Apple knows better than the users only 10% of the time!

Oh right....that was being TOO forgiving.....5% then.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Oh right....that was being TOO forgiving.....5% then.
So how is it that a company that knows better than its users only 5% of the time has been able to achieve such a high degree of financial success?

Apple earns more money than some countries!

And they are "douchbags" because????

dapeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see so much sanctimonious bulls&$@ here. All these comments especially the one about "Control being good" or some such c r a p really brings to mind the term

Toeing the party line.

I thought that went out when the Berlin wall came down. This is George Orwell again.

The app that emulates a Hotspot is a superb piece of software and one every iPad wifi user should have. Why does Apple not allow it? It can be tested like every other app before being put on the istore, so why do you need to jailbreak your device just to get to use a very useful app?

I have found backgrounding and folders and a number of other apps to be very useful even with 3.2.2. I know they are coming with 4.2 but these innovative apps came out ages ago so why so long for Apple to catch on?

Too much control is what it is.

Considering that Apple had a huge head-start on the humble PC, see who has the market now. Why? Too much control is why.

The days of the Dictator are long gone. Keeping standards is one thing. Trying to control what, how, when and why we do things - no way Hosè

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It has buggerall to do with "Toeing the party line" or dictatorial megalomania and everything to do with legal liability in a country where people sue at the drop of a hat.........

<mumbles in disgust and shuffles off muttering>

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Considering that Apple had a huge head-start on the humble PC, see who has the market now. Why? Too much control is why.
As a computer company, Apple is currently in fifth place behind HP, Dell, Acer and Toshiba. Not too bad, but still pretty respectable.

The days of the Dictator are long gone.
Last time I checked (which was about 30 seconds ago), this guy was still the CEO --

steve-jobs-3g-iphone1.jpg

Although Apple may be in fifth place as a computer manufacturer, as a corporation, the guy in the picture has taken the company to be the second largest corporation in the United States, second only to Exxon Mobil. You may not like they way he runs the company or the way he designs and markets his products (which makes me wonder why you have an Apple mobile device in the first place?), but no one can dispute that he does know how to run a corporation with a net worth greater than the GDP of the country of Hong Kong!

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although Apple may be in fifth place as a computer manufacturer, as a corporation, the guy in the picture has taken the company to be the second largest corporation in the United States, second only to Exxon Mobil.

A bit off-topic:

I believe that statistic is a bit misleading. I'm not sure what metric is being used here, perhaps stock price x outstanding shares? If that is the case I can see it being true. A more useful statistic would be to look at the Fortune 500 ranking of Apple which takes revues into account rather than just the value of the company by stock prices. In that case, Apple is ranked #56 in the US with Walmart being on top, not Exxon. Stock price is interesting, but as we saw with Enron it really doesn't give the entire picture.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Apple = East-Block Communism. Wow! Can you exaggerate just a little more?

And I am sorry, but someone calling others "douchebags" invalidates all their points. A child's reaction based on self-proposed speculation?

If you can jailbreak the device and add whatever else you want to it, and if you are not going to run iOS, why are you complaining about it in the first place?

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I think that was a play on the old Apple commercial that pretty much portrayed Microsoft/IBM as exactly the same thing. You know, the one with the hammer and the Orwellian scene playing out on the huge video screen? I assumed the point was that Apple has become exactly what they were once supposedly against.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com

I think that was a play on the old Apple commercial that pretty much portrayed Microsoft/IBM as exactly the same thing. You know, the one with the hammer and the Orwellian scene playing out on the huge video screen? I assumed the point was that Apple has become exactly what they were once supposedly against.

Honestly, I think Apple has always been more constrictive over the years than nearly any other pc manufacturer outside of Sony and their proprietary attitude.

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
The Windows/Linux PC environment illustrates what happens with an open system. Some good/some bad. Apple has pretty much had a closed system from the beginning. If the device can only run "supplied" software and use certified devices, then the service/repair/upgrade loop becomes much easier to work and the company also makes more money.
The iPad/iPod/iPhone/iTouch environment has reached many more people with the attendant demand for openness. Where that will end up is anyone's guess.

Most reactions

Latest posts