What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do they call it the Sleep/Wake button?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You know, that button on the top right edge of your iPad. Apple calls it the Sleep/Wake button.

sleepwake1.jpg

So given this name, one would assume that pressing it would put the iPad to sleep and pressing it again would wake it up.

BUT NO!!!

According to Apple, pressing this button does not put the iPad to sleep, it locks it and pressing it again unlocks it! The same button is also used to turn the iPad off and then on again.

sleepwake.jpg

I mean c'mon! When you are tired and put your jammies on and go to bed, you don't go to lock, you go to sleep! And in the morning when the alarm clock goes off, you don't unlock, you wake up!

So why don't they just call it the Lock/Unlock button???

I am soooooo confused!

president-bush-scratch-head.jpg

Johan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.johanfoto.com
It has a double function. When you are playing music, it's a lock button. The screen does not react to touching, but the music keeps playing so it's not sleeping. If you are not playing music, pressing that button puts the iPad to sleep. So 'Sleep/Wake/Lock/Unlock button' would have been a more accurate name, but I guess Apple found that too long.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
the same button has multiple functions

pressing the button will both put the device to sleep and also wake it up.

When the ipad is put to sleep it automatically locks, upon waking up you must unlock the ipad.

the button is also used for powering the device completely off and on.

Also the same button in combination with the home button is used to take a screen shot.

so its a , sleep/wake/on/off/lock/unlock/screen shot button.

ROFL

paulyeo11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2 switch combine operation can achieve 4 different function. So mike said make sense.

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think they should just call it THE BUTTON and end this confusion lol

Most reactions

Latest posts