What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Didn't You Jailbreak?

AdAbro said:
Hahahahahahah!!......funny. HOWS UR IPAD FASTER? Stocks faster than jail broken
OBVIOUSLY!!!!!! Duhhh!!! :p

Not necessarily. You jailbreak, and speed isn't affected. Just downloading a theme and doing common jailbreaking things will not slow down. It is only when you download stuff that runs in the background and burns CPU and RAM that it becomes slow. On the contrary, since jailbreaking gives you root access, you can actually make it faster than a stock iPad by removing stock stuff that burns CPU and hogs RAM.

My question is, (and I am sure I speak for many people who are reading your posts) how would you know if it is slower since you are not jailbroken?
Have you ever run a speed test on a stock and jailbroken iPad? Sounds to me like someone is making an assumption.

And Kai, sorry to hijack your thread. :)

Last edited:
I don't mind. ;) But back to your argument, I have never noticed any speed difference between stock and JB- Granted, it was a long time ago. Back then, iOS (3.x.x) was a bit laggy, even if I was on a 3GS.

KaiHD said:
I don't mind. ;) But back to your argument, I have never noticed any speed difference between stock and JB- Granted, it was a long time ago. Back then, iOS (3.x.x) was a bit laggy, even if I was on a 3GS.

Yes, I agree. I still have a jailbroken and unlocked 3G running 3.1.3. It runs fine but only has a very few tweaks on it. You really have to manage those old devices carefully to avoid any slow down.
On the modern devices, it is a much easier proposition. On the iPhone4 for example, I can pimp it with loads of stuff and no problems. I can get the iPad1 to slow a bit, but only if I really go extreme... I recently rebuilt both iPhone4 and iPad1 and have installed all my must have tweaks, but no extra fluff. Both devices are running like a dream, and thanks to FakeClockUp they both appear to run a lot snappier than my wife's stock iPad and iPhone!

Can't wait to get into the iPad2 and all its extra RAM and processing power :)

f4780y said:
Yes, I agree. I still have a jailbroken and unlocked 3G running 3.1.3. It runs fine but only has a very few tweaks on it. You really have to manage those old devices carefully to avoid any slow down.
On the modern devices, it is a much easier proposition. On the iPhone4 for example, I can pimp it with loads of stuff and no problems. I can get the iPad1 to slow a bit, but only if I really go extreme... I recently rebuilt both iPhone4 and iPad1 and have installed all my must have tweaks, but no extra fluff. Both devices are running like a dream, and thanks to FakeClockUp they both appear to run a lot snappier than my wife's stock iPad and iPhone!

Can't wait to get into the iPad2 and all its extra RAM and processing power :)

That's what I do! I just did a restore a week ago and only installed necessary stuff. I am always trying new stuff that doesn't always work so the filesystem gets a bit cluttered and the iPad will do some weird stuff.

Somerled said:
I have never come across a need to Jailbreak. Everything I want and intend to do on the iPad I can do without Jailbreaking.

*nods* I completely agree. Though I must admit peeking over the Apple Garden Walls and seeing what's out there to explore is quite tempting...

SweetPoison said:
For me it is not a need. It was a desire ~ a just knew I would all a long, want.:D

Good distinction! I DO understand the desire...but as of now I'm perfectly content with things as they are (BUT once the JB for iPad 2 arrives...well, I've heard the dark side has cookies. Good cookies. So, between now and then I may be able to muster up the courage and gumption to cross over. Maybe. ;) )

I dont know why people are scared of bricking their ipads when it is almost impossible! Even for noobs..

wheems said:
Good distinction! I DO understand the desire...but as of now I'm perfectly content with things as they are (BUT once the JB for iPad 2 arrives...well, I've heard the dark side has cookies. Good cookies. So, between now and then I may be able to muster up the courage and gumption to cross over. Maybe. ;) )

Yes, Marie makes good cookies. :D

I would love to jail break but i am not a computer expert and when i see tutorials of jb in youtube, i freak out and stay away from it. Its too much for me, the stress of the unknown. I wish i was computer savvy to do it by myself but thats not the case so i will stay stock and safe. I have seen jail broken iphones (no ipads though) and theyare great, but when explained to me how to do it it was beyond by grasp

Good karma said:
I would love to jail break but i am not a computer expert and when i see tutorials of jb in youtube, i freak out and stay away from it. Its too much for me, the stress of the unknown. I wish i was computer savvy to do it by myself but thats not the case so i will stay stock and safe. I have seen jail broken iphones (no ipads though) and theyare great, but when explained to me how to do it it was beyond by grasp

If you search for the thread "sweetpoison's jb venture", you can see we held her hand through the whole process. :)

heh. there's a certain thrill when you do it for the first time. i think the first device i hacked was my old nokia phone. even though i followed a step-by-step tutorial i felt like a badass.

graywolf said:
If you search for the thread "sweetpoison's jb venture", you can see we held her hand through the whole process. :)

Definitely worth checking out as there's a lot of info for us first-timers (and all the trepidation, fears and general confusions of exploring a new territory.) Plus it's funny as hell. :)

Good karma said:

And you guys still do!

Most reactions

Latest posts

Back