What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's planning on buying the iPad Air2?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you restored the new iPad from a backup, did you also keep the name of the iPad 2?

Just a thought. I don't use iTunes if I can avoid it.

Hi Johanna - before I connected the new iPad to iTunes, I changed the name to 'David's iPad Air' so not to create any potential conflicts w/ the old iPad 2 - but of course after the restoration the new device was initially given the same name as the old one. I then deleted the old iPad from the 'Manage Devices..' list.

Also, I'm not a big fan of iTunes - just use for backups (although also the cloud) and for transfer my MP3 music to my devices - otherwise, don't fuss w/ the program. Dave :)

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, my 64 GB iPad Air 2 arrived today and after a couple of hours is already to enjoy - did an OTA restoration from the cloud - all went well except the iWork apps did not download (weird since Apple programs); had to DL each and lost some data (but very little - use those apps more on my MBPro). Then did an iOS 8.1.1 update followed by putting all of my MP3 music onto the device (so no more iPod 'on the road'). Backed up to my laptop and also the cloud; had to DL my Amazon books to the Kindle app (went quickly for the ones I wanted).

And the 'thinness & lightness' of this new device is amazing - I lift my old iPad 2 and feels like a BRICK! Now, what to do w/ that old device? Dave :)

I still have my ipad2. Can't bring myself to part with it! We all need a spare ipad, right?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I still have my ipad2. Can't bring myself to part with it! We all need a spare ipad, right?

Yes, the iPad 2 has been my companion for nearly 4 years, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the Air 2 (the 'fingerprint' technology is marvelous to sign-in & make purchases) - actually, I've sold the old iPad 2 on Glyde, just waiting for a mailing package to arrive - I was thinking of giving it to one of my brothers, but have two both living in the same town and are pretty estranged from each other, so I'd have to offer each an iPad - :(

Plus, neither have Apple products and are in their 60s (I'm the older bro!) and would be unwilling to learn how to use the device, so I would become their personal IT support, a role I do not want to assume - easier to just sell online anonymously. Dave :)

dpotter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, I bought the IPad Air 2 and sold my faithful IPad 2. Generally I am delighted in every respect but one: although the fingerprint scanner seems to work well as advertised, setting a fingerprint instead of a passcode makes it impossible to select anything but "require passcode immediately." A considerable nuisance. I've gone back to using a simple passcode.
Hopefully Apple will fix this in a future release, but in the meantime...

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dpotter - not sure what the issue may be w/ your sign-in, but I've been loving the 'fingerprint' technology - have not entered my passcode for days (required for certain features, such as updates) - just put one of my 3 right fingers on the home button, slightly press and not remove the finger - opens the iPad every time - so, keep practicing - ;) Dave

dpotter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Worked that way for me too. But if I'm using the device, and then lock it, I should be able to specify the time before a fingerprint is required to unlock. Works that way for passcodes -- why not for fingerprints?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Worked that way for me too. But if I'm using the device, and then lock it, I should be able to specify the time before a fingerprint is required to unlock. Works that way for passcodes -- why not for fingerprints?
It was designed that way as an extra security measure. Since Touch ID unlocks the iPad almost instantly, it doesn't take any more time to get into your iPad than it would to press the home button to wake up a slerping iPad within the password time limit you've set.

dpotter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, after a couple more days with my iPad Air 2, and now that I have a good case for it, I am using it much as you described. I'm liking the fingerprint feature more and more. I still think there is no reason they couldn't allow longer intervals before fingerprint or passcode is required, but overall I'm liking it a lot.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, after a couple more days with my iPad Air 2, and now that I have a good case for it, I am using it much as you described. I'm liking the fingerprint feature more and more. I still think there is no reason they couldn't allow longer intervals before fingerprint or passcode is required, but overall I'm liking it a lot.

GREAT! I'm just loving this fingerprint technology and not concerned about the timing - Dave :)

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just got my iPad Air 2 on Saturday Dec 20..............made the jump to the 128GB model so hopefully I can keep this one for a few years.
I'm loving it.......size, features, and speed are awesome compared to my iPad 4.

I'm going with a simple Smartcase to keep the small form factor.......had a ZAGG keyboard/case with the iPad 4 but made it so bulky.
Immediately had the ZAGG Glass screen protector installed.......so nice, better than the naked screen IMHO.

Sold my iPad 4 for $350 on eBay.......not bad.

Most reactions

Latest posts