What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Att unlimited plan from air 1 to new air 2

Kyllin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
Does anyone know if that new Apple sim in the air 2 will cause any problem for me to move my grandfathered ATT unlimited plan over from my iPad Air 1 to my new iPad air 2 I just preordered?
Thanks!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It shouldn't. It's the same size SIM, but you can check with your carriers to be sure.

The iPad Air 2's are supposed to come with something called an Apple SIM, which is a SIM issued by Apple. Supposedly you would be able to purchase data as needed from one of three carriers. AT&T, Sprint, and another I can't remember at the moment.

What I'm very curious to know is if you can take an Apple SIM and put it into an older iPad to get the same al la cart data plans.

Given how rarely I need data on my iPad these days (thanks to the iPhone 6 and instant hotspot), it should save me $10 dollars most months. Not a big saving, but something.

dasipad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IIRC....the Apple SIM works with AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile.....
I DO know Verizon is NOT one of the qualifying carriers...!!
That may account for the 10/31 shipping date for my Verizon-configured iPad Air 2....:rolleyes:

OP
K

Kyllin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a follow up. Got my new air. No problem transferring the plan over. The apple sim is permanently connected to att though (not a problem for me).

Scottysize

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just removed the SIM and plugged in my T-Mobile SIM. Of course, I already had a nano-SIM because I had the Air, so no issues for me.

Most reactions

Latest posts