What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's planning on buying the iPad Air2?

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Who's waiting to purchase the iPad Air 2?

I'm ready! I'll be selling my iPad Air and upgrading as soon as it's released.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why ? What is the difference, and is it worth the expense ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
iDan

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the main features I'm hoping the iPad Air2 will get is the finger print scanner. I find that so useful on the iPhone that having it on the iPad would be great. With Apple adding the ability for developers to use that feature in iOS 8, I can see a ton of apps taking advantage of it.

Why ? What is the difference, and is it worth the expense ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LeCaid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm satisfied with my iPad Air. The finger print scanner is not worth the expense for me. It may not even work. It doesn't work too well on my laptop. I must have worn off the top layer!

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, we don't really know what the new iPad Air will have, but it will have to be really groundbreaking for me to upgrade this year. I've upgraded to every model of iPad since the iPad 1, but with the iPad Air I finally feel it's mature enough to last at least two years.

It's also going to depend on what the iPhone 6 does; which I will upgrade to this year. If Apple can talk me into a significantly larger iPhone, it's going to take over a lot of the tasks I carry an iPad around for; making upgrading the iPad even less important.

I'll have to have one in my hands before I can decide on the iPhone upgrade path.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm satisfied with my iPad Air. The finger print scanner is not worth the expense for me. It may not even work. It doesn't work too well on my laptop. I must have worn off the top layer!

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Ditto. My Air works like a champ and I always keep my devices for a while before upgrading so this will be no different. I went from the 2 to the Air and it will be just as long, if not longer between upgrades this time too.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with twerppoet on this one - no new iPad Air for me. This one I have is working great and I am well pleased with it. Granted, there could be some groundbreaking thing that may drive me to think more about an upgrade ... but I highly doubt it.

The new iPhone? That's an entirely different story. As a retiree, I rarely take the iPad out of the house. So, I use my iPhone while I'm out and about. And I want that large iPhone - the 5.5" one of which the rumors speak!

I so rarely use the phone as a phone (calling), that the perceived "silliness" of holding that large a device to my ear is very outweighed by the convenience of having a large screen. Heck, I'd've even gone with a Mini if it had had telephonic/cellular capability.

If the iPhone comes out with a larger screen, especially if it's the 5.5" one, I definitely will keep my iPad Air longer.

Oh, the hope I have for this Tuesday's announcement(s)! :D

Marilyn

Elux72

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I had cash to spare, I'd get one, but I'm quite happy enough with my current Air + Mini combo and want to get as much use out of them as I can. Ditto for the iPhone 6, as my contract is in effect for another 2 years or so, and I'll use the 4S as long as it lasts.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .I so rarely use the phone as a phone (calling), that the perceived "silliness" of holding that large a device to my ear is very outweighed by the convenience of having a large screen. Heck, I'd've even gone with a Mini if it had had telephonic/cellular capability. . . .

I first noticed it in the TV series Castle. More and more often people are holding their smartphones in front of their face and using the speaker phone. Unless I'm in a situation that requires a touch more privacy and/or discretion, I find myself doing the same thing. Large phones look less ridiculous this way; though talking to a full sized tablet is still rather odd looking.

That said, what looks strange, odd, or ridiculous is mostly about our expectations. Everybody laughed at people using tablets to take pictures. Today, most of us are barely noticing.

I'm still torn between the decision on iPhone sizes. On one hand, one-handed use is, well, handy. There are many situations in my day where being able to use the phone one-handed is a big bonus: walking the dog, holding a drink, etc.

But, if the new larger iPhone somehow finds the happy intersection between comfortably fitting in my pocket and replacing most of my mobile iPad needs, then I'm going to get it. And it's going to have a huge effect on the when and what model of my next iPad purchase. {just to bring things back on topic} :)

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a 4S phone and the three IPad. I'm thinking that the 6+ phone may keep me from having to drag my iPad around everywhere I go. I like that the new camera is going to adjust for shaking. I would like a new iPad, but then again there's the Iwatch. With eight grandchildren I will be waiting until after Christmas to make any decisions other than the phone.

HappyPelican

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As much as I love my iPad 3, I'll definitely be upgrading to the next iPad. I was kinda hoping Apple snuck it in to yesterday's announcement (knew they wouldn't but a girl can still hope) so I figure maybe in October it will be announced.

Most reactions