What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who wants their screen rotation button back?

Do you want the Screen Orientation button back?

• Yes, bring it back!

Votes: 224 74.9%
  • No, I like the mute button.

Votes: 64 21.4%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • There was an orientation button??

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
<===== Putting moderator hat on.

I enjoy a "spirited debate" as much as the next person, but if it makes people happy to pointlessly debate the merits of a feature that doesn't exist, let them have fun.

However, I also think this would be a good time to review Rule #3

3. Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. We take politeness very seriously. You are welcome to challenge others points of view and opinions, but do so respectively and thoughtfully.

ChIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am finding more and more on here that some of us are told when and how we can have an opinion, it makes no sense, if someone doesnt like something and wants to vent about it or start a thread then let them rant and rave, if you do not like the fact that some do not like parts of the ipad then stay out of the thread, wow that is a simple fix now isnt it????

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do normally stay out of complaint threads, because they normally don't go anywhere. But when I see people actually claim they are "mortified" or say that they now "hate the iPad" due to this one small change, I have to jump in and poke fun.

I really do like the new switch feature though, I use the mute function much more than I ever used the orientation lock.

ChIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree, i did not like it at first, but it doesnt kill me that they changed it, i am trying to get used to the new location of it, which isnt that much of a pain, i wont get rid of my ipad over it by any means, i use it too much lol

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The trend has not changed for a while.
The poll results have maintained a 3:1 ratio in favor of the orientation lock switch. At this point it seems pretty clear what the majority prefers.
The poll has reached its objective of polling this forum's users opinion.

Rbutts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This poll needed a "I don't care either way" option.

I think numbers would be a little different.

I never had it since I got mine after the update. Cant say either way but you can't miss what you never had. I like the mute button for quick quiet.

Rachelle

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How about a snapshot of the current poll results and a poll reset?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We don't have the ability to do change the poll results. While I agree that the poll itself has pretty much outlived it's useful life a long time ago, the thread is still very popular and as long as people continue to discuss things in a civil manner, we're just going to let the thread continue as it is.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has every right to change it. They own the rights and they can do whatever they want. I hope they switch it back, but they include a mild electrical shock transmitted through that stupid switch every time someone uses it. LOL

Call me an Apple fanboy, apologist, or whatever else you want, I don't care. THIS is absolutely hilarious! Comedy gold! "I AM MORTIFIED! TERRIFIED! APPLE HAS COMMITTED MURDER! THEY SHOULD BE SUED!"

LOL

They don't own the rights on products they already sold. Maybe the software, but not the device.
So if they change functionality of stuff they sold, they should either announce officially all the changes they made so everyone can decide which software they want to use or give the ability to revert to the software to the initial state.
Or implement a switch that let's everyone have his own thing.
But if you upgraded to 4.2.1, then there's no official way to go back to 3.x.
I thought at first that putting the lock icon into the taskbar was nice. Until I found out how often I use it.
I have it back now with unofficial help of JB, so I'm good.

But if you think that apple should reintroduce a lock switch with electrical shocking, then I wish you all your gadgets to change their buttons, switches etc. to change their behaviour over time. And if they do, I don't want to hear you complain. Then please embrace the all new functions of your switches and buttons. May it start with your key fob of your car...

They did. I knew about the lock orientation switch being changed to a mute about a month before the update was made official.

The apple stores gave this information out to those who inquired about the announced changes to iOS devices with the 4.2 update.

Details of the update were listed on Apple's website for over a month before the update was officially released.

Beta testers of the new update had reported all over the web, the changes included in the 4.2 update., most of which included mention of the switch's function being moved to a soft key.

Furthermore, the updates are user optional. Not automatic, and is installed ONLY after an end user agreement is submitted. Users should take a moment to familiarize themselves with any update, from any company, for any product before proceeding. Apple has their updates on their front main page, long before and long after it has been introduced.

It is part of the end user's agreement that Apple has the right to make changes to the operating system. You are agreeing to the terms upon installation and use.

If you are an adult, you are legally bound, as with any company's end user's agreement. And if you are an adult, you take responsibility for the choices you make. If you chose not to read the information posted on Apple's website; if you chose to ignore terms and conditions upon agreeing to them; and you chose not to gather any information about an update that is difficult to reverse before proceeding, then you don't have much more than your soapbox you're standing on. Even so. It's a function that is still there. I too have to agree at the ludicrousness of being horrified at this rather minor (because it really is if you think about it, and compare it to the other changes in the update) change. When someone writes that they now "hate" their iPad because of this change, it makes we question why that person got an iPad, or was even happy with it in the first place.. unless however, we've got responses from those who wish to create commotion about how this is an atrocity, and how our rights as iPad, end users mind you, have "been trampled on", and only those who recognize the ridiculousness of this type of reaction as folks who have pictures of Mr. Jobs on our Tshirts. Seriously. Those who don't fit into the category of camp creators, or trolls, would be either people pretending to be upset over the switch change, or genuinely upset. Those who are genuinely should take minute to reflect on our responsibilities as the consumers of a product or service, and not expect corporations and companies to hold our hands every step of the way. If anything, that has been one of the things I see written about Apple, not as a positive, but the contrary. Take responsibility and familiarize yourselves with a software update before you blindly accept the user's terms and conditions. If you one who has read this post and still are upset over the switch's function change, in terms that have been described by some or along the lines of being "mortified", further explanation of the preceding text probably won't change your opinion on the matter. Cheers! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts