What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who wants their screen rotation button back?

Do you want the Screen Orientation button back?

• Yes, bring it back!

Votes: 224 74.9%
  • No, I like the mute button.

Votes: 64 21.4%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • There was an orientation button??

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lanimae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Firstly thanks to this forum for explaining what software updates don't. I delayed updating for exactly this sort of reason. Why is it so difficult to explain to customers in advance what changes will occur? Clearly after so many pages the thread strikes a chord with many others.
What an idiotic way to run a business.

Just imagine the motor industry making the gas pedal inoperative and hiding the steering wheel under the seat!

Its a good point but in the early days of motoring thats exactly what happened, well not the steering wheel bit, but the pedals were all swapped around etc. It's all a storm in a t cup though as locking rotation is very easy. And a mute key where there was not one is very useful. Far better than holding the volume button and muting all sounds, But perhaos for people who can't manage a multi button step, the option of programming it which ever way the user wants. That would stop this ridiculous bellie aching. How lazy can people be that more than a single button is an effort?

Shreds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't particularly care about which button is located where or whether it is one press or two, it's the fact that the update changes things without telling you.

What would be so difficult about a quick bullet pointed list to warn you in advance rather than the usual longwinded eula that few read?

Same with the iPhone. A quick 'this will slow up your phone' would have been useful, as I would not have bothered updating that if I had known.

lanimae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree totally but no other manufacturer does that. I've never owned a mobile device where I was consulted or notifed when updates took place. That same goes for updates to windows OS or MacOS. It just isn't how things are done. You simply can't run a business that way. You don't run a business by concensus or nothing would ever get done. Until a better system comes along this is what we are stuck with. I'm more upset with my iPhone 4 not working properly without its bumper case. Also the iPad apps which don't work as they should after the upgrade.....

Shreds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It just isn't how things are done. You simply can't run a business that way.

Never heard of customer service?

In my business we give the customer what they want and make sure it's right, that's why we are so successful. And if there need to be any changes along the way, we tell the customer in writing so that everyone is clear what they are getting.

Common good business practice.

If you are telling me that this excludes the computer industry, then that speaks for itself.

Expect the criticism and flak!

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, Apple does it their own way, and they are obviously VERY successful, so I wouldn't expect a change out of them any time soon.

lanimae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It just isn't how things are done. You simply can't run a business that way.

Never heard of customer service?

In my business we give the customer what they want and make sure it's right, that's why we are so successful. And if there need to be any changes along the way, we tell the customer in writing so that everyone is clear what they are getting.

Common good business practice.

If you are telling me that this excludes the computer industry, then that speaks for itself.

Expect the criticism and flak!

And I am sure your business is a great success, but 8 million ipads and 60 million iphones speak for themselves. All electronics/computer/programming companies make changes. Microsoft doesn't consult, or notify what changes are being or have been made. You simply download the updates with a simple list of "security" or "important" updates. They don't ask your permission or take a big vote to get something done. It's ludicrous to think they they would, or should. And the success of the Apple founder also speaks for itself, in billions. The button was changed and the function moved. Get over it.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions