What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who wants their screen rotation button back?

Do you want the Screen Orientation button back?

• Yes, bring it back!

Votes: 224 74.9%
  • No, I like the mute button.

Votes: 64 21.4%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • There was an orientation button??

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnole

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
Www.iandriopoulos.com
The main problem is that now we have one switch and one button on the same side which has the same function, mute the volume. Too much I think.

And if I watch a video or working on an app and like to screen lock I have to do 5moves instead of 1!!!

(The 5 moves are: double tap to home button, swipe to the right, press the screen lock button and finally the home button again)

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there an app for that???

Ha, ha.

No joking, is there some app in cydia for that?

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The main problem is that now we have one switch and one button on the same side which has the same function, mute the volume. Too much I think.
Every audio or audio/video remote control I have has up/down volume control as well as a mute button. Never considered that a problem.

And on those devices muting is exactly the same as lowering the volume to zero. The mute button is simply faster, and can return the volume where is was previously when unmuted.

But muting system and by-design apps with the silent switch on the iPad is not at all the same as muting all sound with the volume rocker.

And if I watch a video or working on an app and like to screen lock I have to do 5moves instead of 1!!!
Oh no! However will you manage??? ;)

Michael

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score

(The 5 moves are: double tap to home button, swipe to the right, press the screen lock button and finally the home button again)

Reading comprehension is obviously not your strong suit. It has already been said multiple times in this thread, but I'm going to do it once more just for you......

THE VOLUME ROCKER SWITCH AND THE MUTE SWITCH DO NOT DO THE SAME THING!!

The volume rocker switch controls ALL volume (video, music, system sounds, everything). The mute switch *ONLY* mutes the system sounds (keyboard clicking, beeps, notifications, etc)

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And if I watch a video or working on an app and like to screen lock I have to do 5 moves instead of 1!!!
And now I am curious...

Under what conditions are you watching videos or working with apps that requires you to lock the screen in one particular orientation?

Jvthegreat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you are navigating with maps, the lock button allows you to orient the map for your direction. I didn't know it was changed until I was hunting for an address while in my car and the map wouldn't hold still.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My mute button doesnt seem to work anyway, so they may as well have left it like it was.

No, it works fine. It's mutes system sounds.

Why is this so difficult for people to comprehend?

I think I understand why this is hard to understand for some people (myself included at first). First, you have to understand that there are different types of users for this device. At one extreme, there are people that have this as a lounge on the couch media consumption device. On the other extreme there are people using this as a business tool. For the first group of people, there may never have been a time when a system sound actually interrupted anything they were doing. For the second group, there may have been numerous times when notifications triggered a system sound at an inconvenient time (showing something to a customer, giving a presentation, etc.). Then, there are people in both camps that either receive a ton of notifications or none at all.

If you never, or very rarely, receive any notifications then the change of the switch would seem to have no purpose. You are muting things that never occur in the first place. This would lead you to wonder exactly what the purpose of the switch is in its' new implementation. In the entire time I have had my Ipad, I have probably received less than a dozen notifications that have triggered a system sound. I'm sure there are other sounds that get muted as well, but I have yet to notice what those are, so they must not have much of a bearing on how I use the device. For people like me, the new switch function is pretty much worthless. I can live with it because the software toggle works just fine. Still, I can see where the confusion comes in.

Last edited:

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I leave the system mute switch on most of the time because it mutes the annoying keyboard clicks. That way I can still listen to music while typing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts