What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who Runs? I Love To Run!

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
109 bpm, where you even exercising? :p

That is freakin hilarious! When I took my heart rate and it was 109, I thought when I posted that number, someone will say what you just said ~ a man no doubt, that runs 2 miles in 10 min!

Your max heart rate is 220 minus your age (your real age, ladies, not what you think you can pass for), and your target heart rate during exercise should be 60-80% of that for good results. So admit that you're about 90, or pick up the pace. :)

Well. This was harsh.

So ~ my heart rate is 166? Or should be? Okay. So what is your point?:D

I am not 90 I'm not!

Brockly is both right and wrong - yeah, bp is as important as hr but hr is easier to measure and a pretty good guide over the length of a training session if you don't just measure it once and let it go. I'd only worry about blood pressure if you already had serious health issues and then "you should consult a physician before beginning any workout program" as the informercials say.

So, working with the position that you aren't 90 and 300lbs (neither of which seemed likely) my point is if you'd like to see some health benefits to running, find a pace that puts you in your target heart rate and practice maintaining that pace until you can do it for 20-30 minutes, at least.

I'm a big advocate of the "walk before you can run" concept - if you can't maintain that pace for long, take a walk break until your hr comes back down, you catch your breath, then start running again. Gradually you'll be running more than walking, until you're running the entire distance at your target pace.

All that said, despite running since I was 10 (I'm 50 now) and completing numerous marathons, I think walking or cycling are better for you in the long-term, as they're much easier on the body, especially if there aren't dirt/grass trails available.

Martlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
epb said:
I'm a big advocate of the "walk before you can run" concept - if you can't maintain that pace for long, take a walk break until your hr comes back down, you catch your breath, then start running again. Gradually you'll be running more than walking, until you're running the entire distance at your target pace.

That can't be stressed enough, only I don't entirely agree with simply walking. Overtraining can result in injuries that can sideline you for a long time.

That's one of he reasons I push he Maffetone method for new runners, or runners who want to bump it up. He prompts training under your max aerobic HR. Most new runners will find they're barely above a walk at that HR. As they build their aerobic zone, they greatly increase their speed at the same heart rate.

Sine distance running is dependent upon your aerobic zone, this has been a great way for me to improve the times of my distance runs, too.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
106 lbs in 7 months? Low carb? I bet you do feel better, Broc! I love racquetball! We should meet and play.;) You are only and hour away if that!

I would win.:D

Ooooo it's on :) you pick the date and I will kick your butt :) lol will get you the info so we can hook up so I can kick you butt lol

You probably will win! I so love that game, tho. I got your PM.;)

SweetPoison said:
I wasn't trippin. Mine isn't going to change even if I do manage some day to run longer. Or does it? I'm thinkin it changes if you run faster, right?

What's your goal? To run longer? Farther? Faster? All three? Read the book I suggested earlier. It's a short, easy read. It explains not only the how, but the why.

Longer I guess ~ so that would be farther....

You know ~ I don't live far from the City, SF and I go often ~ but just last weekend I think it was, I went and walked around the zoo and beaches and whatnot all day. Not a biggie.

That night I was up all night in tears with leg cramps from hell! Seriously. Right behind my knees, that big ligament there ~ cramped up so bad.

It was awful.

From walking? I never get that from running!

Last edited:

Brockly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
You probably will win! I so love that game, tho. I got your PM.;)

Longer I guess ~ so that would be farther....

You know ~ I don't live far from the City, SF and I go often ~ but just last weekend I think it was, I went and walked around the zoo and beaches and whatnot all day. Not a biggie.

That night I was up all night in tears with leg cramps from hell! Seriously. Right behind my knees, that big ligament there ~ cramped up so bad.

It was awful.

From walking? I never get that from running!

I love to go to the city my hang out at north beach. Live music and dancing is so much fun :)

Most reactions