What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is Hoping for a Facetime Compatible App and Webcam?

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since FaceTime is supposed to be an open standard, am I alone in hoping for some enterprising dev to support the protocol and a couple of cameras in an App?

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm hopeful it will come.

What I'd like would be a webcam with mic on a short lead. So handy for scanning, skypeing, photographing images for a database, checking for earwax etc.. :)

Fixed cameras are inflexible.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind having another app like it. I've been using my iPad more than my pc. It would be another reason not to open the pc :D

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I'd like would be a webcam with mic on a short lead.
If not that, then if you are going to have a static front-facing camera, then a front-facing-mic would be essential. I have used a couple of VoIP apps and people tell me the audio quality is pretty decent, but you have to hold the iPad in such a way that you are talking into the top of the unit.

Since I probably won't get a 2nd gen iPad (sure, he says that now!), I have been looking at this place for a suitable earbud/mic combo;
External iPad Microphones | iPod Touch Microphones
(Disclaimer: I do not work for this company and do not get paid to endorse their products.)

Obviously by searching for "ipad earbud mic combo", you get enough hits to keep you busy for a looooong time. So slightly OT, has anyone run across an earbud/mic combo they are happy with?

Last edited:
T

TJK

Since I probably won't get a 2nd gen iPad (sure, he says that now!), I have been looking at this place for a suitable earbud/mic combo?

I have been using a couple of things with both my 3GS and iPad. First is the Shure adapter that adds an in-line mic that can be used any 3.5mm headset, earbuds, etc. I use this with my Shure E5c in noisy environs like airports:
Shure - Music Phone Adapter

There are several less expensive alternatives to the Shure solution but I have not tried them. I found the Shure in the Atlanta airport while changing planes and it was mis-marked at $19....
Here's a link to a Macworld Review of the top 5:
http://www.macworld.com/article/132284/2008/02/iphone_adapters.html

Something else I just grabbed is the Headset Buddy which let's me use my logitech PC headset with my iDevices. Great for Skype calls etc.:
Computer PC Headset Smartphone Adapter, Dual 3.5mm to Single 3.5mm

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TJK

I could actually care less about a FaceTime app.....I never use the video capabilities in Skype so I'm not excited about FaceTime. I work from a home office so I'm unshaven and in a t shirt way to often to show people what I look like.:p

However, I am surprised that nobody has done this type of app via bluetooth. It is possible to display the iPhone camera on the iPad screen using the Camera A / Camera B apps. So some kind of an app that would use the iPhone as a camera / mic for the iPad would be interesting.

Some bluetooth headsets are purported to work via the USB connection on the camera kit...so maybe something will be developed.

Most reactions

Latest posts