What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who Here That Owns An iPad Will Buy The iPad Mini?

canmorechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have an iPad 3rd gen and I wanted to see if my 70-year-old eyes could handle the non-Retina display of the mini. the 16GB black/slate unit will be here later today.

Please let me know what you think of the difference between them. I have zero interest in the display and my standard response is 'why would I want something to look better than it does in real life?' But the spouse loves his HDTVs and such and I am sure we will be discussing a new ipad for him one day just because of the retina whatever. I am very curious to hear your thoughts.

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Enjoy life today. No sense in waiting. If the product fits your needs today, buy it today. Simple as that.
Totally agree. This Mini is a bit pricey given the specs. I need a 7" tablet now so unless I'm gifted a Mini, I'm buying a 7" Android (probably a Nexus) and planning for the next Mini in 2013.

I'll continue to enjoy the Apple ecosystem with my other iDevices.

mikeo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please let me know what you think of the difference between them. I have zero interest in the display and my standard response is 'why would I want something to look better than it does in real life?' But the spouse loves his HDTVs and such and I am sure we will be discussing a new ipad for him one day just because of the retina whatever. I am very curious to hear your thoughts.

So far so good. The display is better than the iPad 2 we had prior to the 3rd gen unit. However, text is smaller due to the reduced size. The most impressive feature is the feather-weight of the mini making it so much easier to hold than a 9.7" iPad.

Appleipaduser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will buy a Nexus 7 now; to hold me for now and wait to see if Apple will do a retina iPad mini with at least a A6x inside; since the iPhone5S is rumor to get a NFC chip and a A7 inside it!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
I'm off to the Apple store today to give the mini a test drive. Presently I have an iPad 2 so I wouldn't notice the screen rez. And my eyesight is shot so I can't see pixels anyway. :)

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

You think your eyesight is bad, I thought that I had been testing the new iPad Mini in an Apple Store but it turns out that i had spent half an hour in a wall tile store just prodding the kitchen tiles!

The Archangel

markuse51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Beryl said:
Huh? A waste for you, maybe, but not for those who need or want a smaller device using the same ecosystem.

I may not purchase one due to upcoming Nexus announcements but it certainly wouldn't be a waste for me if I did. I have an iPad 3 and I'm only a tad disappointed that it has been replaced in only 6 months.

"Beryl" I too have recently purchased my IPad 3 and I very dissapointed about the timing of the "4" I would of waited a bit longer had I been aware I think this is the usual phenomenon of got to have it syndrome we all get sucked in by it.It took me a long time to save for my IPad so I would have liked the most current model.Worry not about the knockers you get what "you" want!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm off to the Apple store today to give the mini a test drive. Presently I have an iPad 2 so I wouldn't notice the screen rez. And my eyesight is shot so I can't see pixels anyway. :)

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

It's beautiful!! You may walk out with one...it's tempting! ;)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I admit it - I succumbed! :)

I promised myself that, if there were still some black Minis when I stopped in the Apple Store yesterday afternoon, then I'd get one. Well, they did! :D

So, I'm now the owner of a 16GB Mini. It really is a very nice device. Yeah, the screen is not retina, but it's not as bad as [the ubiquitous] they make it out to be (and I'm comparing it to a retina iPad!). Don't get me wrong - a retina Mini would be da bomb! But - this is very, very kewl right now.

I find I use it in portrait mode, like my phone, more than I use it in landscape mode, like my iPad3. It has replaced my phone as the search device/game player while I am otherwise occupied on the big screen iPad3. Old eyes, you know...

Very pleased with my somewhat impulse buy.

Marilyn

P.S. If they come out with a retina Mini - it'd be difficult to decide which device to get when it's time to (inevitably) replace my iPad3. The lightness and form factor is that great (IMNSHO, of course :)).

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I admit it - I succumbed! :)

I promised myself that, if there were still some black Minis when I stopped in the Apple Store yesterday afternoon, then I'd get one. Well, they did! :D

So, I'm now the owner of a 16GB Mini. It really is a very nice device. Yeah, the screen is not retina, but it's not as bad as [the ubiquitous] they make it out to be (and I'm comparing it to a retina iPad!). Don't get me wrong - a retina Mini would be da bomb! But - this is very, very kewl right now.

I find I use it in portrait mode, like my phone, more than I use it in landscape mode, like my iPad3. It has replaced my phone as the search device/game player while I am otherwise occupied on the big screen iPad3. Old eyes, you know...

Very pleased with my somewhat impulse buy.

Marilyn

P.S. If they come out with a retina Mini - it'd be difficult to decide which device to get when it's time to (inevitably) replace my iPad3. The lightness and form factor is that great (IMNSHO, of course :)).

Sounds great. Enjoy!

I'm resisting temptation by not going anywhere near places that sell the minis for now, lol. I'm waiting for my iPad 4 and Kindle Fire HD 9" to arrive, when I think the temptation will have eased.

Noramar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the iPad 2 and did shell out the $$ for the iPad Mini. I just sent the iPad 2 to Amazon as a trade-in. They're pretty fair in their value assessments. I just did the same when I switched from my HTC EVO to the iPhone 5.

Most reactions