What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who here bought an iPad even though they dislike Apple products?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It all depends on what you want to do. If you need to drive in one nail, you do not need to drag an air compressor to the location, set up a nail gun, and install the nail. You want a hammer. Apple take the approach that it should be able to handle the requirements of a nail gun, with the ease of a hammer. So you have a self contained nail gun. It is handy enough to do one nail, or a thousand.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Mac but it also runs windows on a second display on parallels 24/7 and it has a full boot camp install. I go with whatever is the best product...no corporate love here.

dpizzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My fiance was the big apple fan. Ease of operation and "it looks pretty" I'd say were her two biggest reason. She doesn't really do any heavy work on computers, so it makes sense. I have my main pc for work and two pc laptops. Around Christmas time, I could tell she was considering getting me a kindle. I asked her not to because i had hear rumblings of an Apple reader, and said I wanted to see what they came out with first. Birthday came a few months later and so did an iPad on launch day. She used it for 10 minutes after i opened it and back in the car we went to drive 50 miles to get another one for her. I then proceeded to sheist her Mac desktop and haven't touched anything but that and the iPad for anything outside of work. I wouldn't call myself an Apple hater, but just don't understand the cult-like behavior that goes on with Apple and other brands. I have brand loyalty in a sense that if i am happy with an item and it offers a lot to fit my lifestyle, and dollar for dollar is a better product/brand for my lifestyle than others, i'll stick around. Needless to say, even though I had pretty high expectations to begin with for the iPad, I'm even happier with it than I expected to be

LAC_STS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I HATED Apple for a long time I mostly still do. But now they focus on mobile devices a lot.

I still hate theyre computers but I do love theyre mobile devices. I love the Iphone, Ipod touch, and now the Ipad.

There are still some things that suck like how they hold out on important features that they could easily implement just to hold off for the next years device.

But IMHO theyre mobile devices are the best. I now find myself in theyre endless yearly cycle of selling my Iphone, Ipod touch, (and now gonna be Ipad) on ebay, and buying the new one.....every single year.

If you do it right you can get theyre newest and greatest for almost nothing.

Like the Iphone. Every year when they announce the new Iphone I sell my jailbrokesn and unlocked Iphone on ebay then use that money to buy the new one. Last year I sold my 3G for $570 then went and spent $200 on the 3GS.

The 2nd gen Ipod touch I sold for $60 less than I bought it new for to get the 3rd Gen one.

But with the extra money made on the Iphone sale it covers it and then some. Im hoping that it covers what I sell my Ipad for next year when they announce a new one.

The key is to put it on ebay where it will end a couple days before the new one is released. You'd be surprised how many people have no clue that a new one is coming out when they buy one.

But anyways, Its ok to hate Apple and then buy an Ipad, or anything else for that matter. I hate Microsoft sometimes too, but I still buy theyre products.

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do the same with my phones, and I like the new iPhone, but refuse to be on ATT.

FrostyFire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Then you should know that Apple doesn't have policies for OSX. They have policies for the App Store....and I'm glad they do keeps the crap and viruses out.

HistoryWes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never been a big fan of Macs. I always preferred PCs. I like a system I can easily get into and customize. I always thought that iPods were nice, but there were other mp3 players that were cheaper. So... my first Apple product is my iPad. I love it.

mossman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never been a big fan of Apple, basically due to a small number of people who were really annoying in their love for Apple and couldn't shut up about it. It it weren't for them, I'd have no opinion about Apple at all. But given them, I've shied away from Apple products in the past.

I don't associate with those people anymore, so thankfully they are not a factor. I didn't think much of the iPad when it was announced. But then the reviews came in and I felt like I wanted to be part of this. I have no regrets, the iPad is fantastic.

I think the iPad and my Windows 7 HP PC get along great.

sweet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do the same with my phones, and I like the new iPhone, but refuse to be on ATT.

Hey man you know AT&T is really not that bad Despite all the bad press they get. Its really only bad in san Fran and new York. In az its actually great. And with the new iphone have a much better antenna it will be. Awesome.

By no means am i a fanboy. I only own ios devices minus the touch. ( I have an iphone why would i want a touch too?). I dislike Mac osx

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have no issues with AT&T service either. Have had it for years. I don't get dropped calls or service outage. The only thing I'm not liking are the pricing changes. Have unlimited on iPhone and iPad, so I'm good there, but not being able to tether without losing the unlimited is not good! And no, I don't want to jailbreak :)

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hey man you know AT&T is really not that bad Despite all the bad press they get. Its really only bad in san Fran and new York. In az its actually great. And with the new iphone have a much better antenna it will be. Awesome.

By no means am i a fanboy. I only own ios devices minus the touch. ( I have an iphone why would i want a touch too?). I dislike Mac osx
Actually no it's really not. I don't live in California OR New York and there is not a single drop of 3G coverage for within an entire 1.5 hour circle of me. So I disagree. And where I am from in Pittsburgh, ATT there CONSTANTLY switches between 3G and EDGE, draining the battery like nobodies business.

If you live in a major city you're good to go. But even a lot of major cities with ATT are subpar. I had ATT for 3 years, I switched to Verizon...and I'll never look back.

Deus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I cannot stand apple but I did. I think I will bail on the next iPhone though. HTC Evo looks amazing. Plus I am so sick of Apple and the Nazi regime it has become

sunking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I cannot stand apple but I did. I think I will bail on the next iPhone though. HTC Evo looks amazing. Plus I am so sick of Apple and the Nazi regime it has become

Gotta tell you...I picked up the Motorola Droid on launch day and the Google Android operating system is sweet now that we have 2.1 released.

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know how some of you don't think Macs are user friendly. I didn't always like Apple computers and used some in High School 6 or so years ago in a photography class. Still didn't want one yet but liked the system. Then in 2007 I was looking for a new computer and looked at Macs again and got a 13" MacBook. Now I really like the OSX simplicity. After I got it everyone was like why do you want a Mac? Nothing will work with it.... But everything has been fine and some things don't work. And the things that don't play with Mac OS I have my Windows XP Bootcamp. Some of the people that were questioning me used my Mac for a little while and also liked it. And my sister ended up getting one and so did my girlfriend.

I don't remember who said it earlier in this thread about no viruses on their PC. I agree with you if you keep anti virus software on there and up to date you will be fine. I like my Apple products but hate when other Apple users say "well windows get viruses, I haven't had one since I got my Mac.." But windows runs fine if you are smart with your machine.

Most reactions