What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fanboy/Fangirl... What is the deal with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Bare with me: what ever device, OS, brand that you like, you'll be called a fanboy if you talk about it...

We see that mostly in forums or in comments from a text in a blog. I am wondering as to why it is so negative to have a good expericence with a technology provider?

Here, on the iPad forum, most are Apple iDevice users, with some Android device users. In general, the atmosphere is really good and we can freely talk about what we like and what we don't like without being called a fanboy. But that status is quite rare as often, saying that you're satisfied with your choice on other website will end with the fanboy tag as fast as you can press that send button...

And this is not just with Apple's products or Android's products but anything related to computers...

What is wrong with people? There will be always someone, in a few minutes of your posting, replying that you are just a fanboy. I know, this has to be expected from the human race, but why specifically on technology related products? You don't see that in the car industry, or service related products...

For example, if I say that I really liked a movie, nobody will answer back with "You don't know what you're talking about, you should have seen that other movie instead!". Same goes with a brand new car: "You moron, you should have bought the xxx brand instead!". But with technology related products, it just goes crazy... Everyone is an expert, everyone is right... Is this a religion thing, a statement of my personal life? And even so, can I be just happy with my choice?

Don't worry, I'm not facing a new struggle in my life ;). I've been an Ubuntu user since 2004, and I'm am quite used to that phenomenon. First, I was thinking that it was a Wndows/Linux thing. But I can see with iOS/Android/etc that it's not.

I don't care if Apple, Microsoft, Linux, Android, etc.. is better. What counts is that the choice I made satisfies my needs. And let me be happy about it. You can share your expericence, you can asked about how I dealt with a limitation, you can comment about my point of view, you can correct me if I made and error... But please, drop the fanboy thing! It feels like someone from the dark ages shouting "Heretics!"

Freedom is not about being superior, it's about choosing what you want, be it the best or the worse...

And you, are you a "fanboy/fangirl"? ;)

VicoPad addict!

Vlammetje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I.m not a fangirl of anything, although Sony Ericsson has the longest stretch ofmcustomer loyalty from me.

I get the impression that most people will cry 'fanboy' in an attempt to discredit someone elses comments on a certain product, which they perhaps have no other way of countering? Like a valid point or something.

I don't get the whole 'fanboy' thing, but discredting people whos opinion is not in accordance with ones own views, is as old as the world.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think using the term fanboy/girl in a detrimental way, such as trying to discredit someone else's point of view is not healthy at all. That said, I am happy to be called a fanboy, I'm surrounded by Apple gear, I love it.......but if something that was better (in my personal opinion) came along then I would switch in just the way I switched from Windows to Mac a number of years ago.

As long as the term is used in a healthy, positive and not negative way then I see no problem with it at all. Unfortunately it seems to have been claimed for discussions which involve flaming.

For clarity, I have no problem with people preferring other systems at all and I am always interested in hearing their views on their products.

The Archangel

Reaction score
The beauty of this forum is the folks doing the behind the scenes stuff have a 0 tolerance for fanboyism.
When one starts to buy things in order to "feel" a certain way, when someone disagrees with their decision they take it too often as a rub against them. Advertising is a huge contributor "buy this to be that", "you are a loser if you don't buy whatever", buy this product and your greatest wishes hopes and dreams will come to you ", etc

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Mountainbikermark said:
The beauty of this forum is the folks doing the behind the scenes stuff have a 0 tolerance for fanboyism.
When one starts to buy things in order to "feel" a certain way, when someone disagrees with their decision they take it too often as a rub against them. Advertising is a huge contributor "buy this to be that", "you are a loser if you don't buy whatever", buy this product and your greatest wishes hopes and dreams will come to you ", etc

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

You're right! Great point of view. Marketing is probably a major key in this subject. Darn, they can almost convince me that Tampax product will get me to ride a horse, fly a plane and run a marathon ;)

VicoPad addict!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think using the term fanboy/girl in a detrimental way, such as trying to discredit someone else's point of view is not healthy at all. That said, I am happy to be called a fanboy, I'm surrounded by Apple gear, I love it.......but if something that was better (in my personal opinion) came along then I would switch in just the way I switched from Windows to Mac a number of years ago.

As long as the term is used in a healthy, positive and not negative way then I see no problem with it at all. Unfortunately it seems to have been claimed for discussions which involve flaming.

For clarity, I have no problem with people preferring other systems at all and I am always interested in hearing their views on their products.

The Archangel
This. Well said.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I

Agreed. . Why threads like this are opened in the first place is beyond me.

Could it be so there will be flaming. People who have strong passionate opinions about a subject often ends in heated debates. I fail to see how threads such as these benefit IPF or it's members in any way.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions