What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who has tried AirPlay Mirroring?

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes Netflix does look good DIRECTLY off Apple TV but doesn't have subtitles and my wife needs that option. My Internet speed is 50mb/s so if that's not fast enough for streaming then the apple tv device was a VERY poorly designed product indeed!

so are you taking it back?

what made you buy it?

which iPad do you have?

do you have wi-fi?

do you have surround sound?

ChuckMead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am so sorry that she has a disability, but you did not state that when you replied to the quality of this product. Again it is just an expression of our feelings.

jeffreydc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am so sorry that she has a disability, but you did not state that when you replied to the quality of this product. Again it is just an expression of our feelings.

so are you taking it back?

what made you buy it?

which iPad do you have?

do you have wi-fi?

do you have surround sound?

Hey poser,

I bought it mostly to stream Netflix from my iPad 2 over wifi. My Internet connection is plenty fast enough. I also have Netflix on my ps3 and Xbox but Xbox also does not have subtitles which is why I was hoping either the apple tv itself would have them. Sometimes the streaming is ok and other times it is really bad. I am also having problems with Netflix crashing or not working properly while streaming. Maybe it's a netflix problem so I may keep it a bit longer and test it out more thoroughly.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey poser,

I bought it mostly to stream Netflix from my iPad 2 over wifi. I also have Netflix on my ps3 and Xbox but Xbox also does not have subtitles which is why I was hoping either the apple tv itself would have them.

subtitles was added recently.

About Apple TV (2nd generation) software updates

Apple TV Software Update 4.4.1
FixesSummary
Software updateAddresses an issue that required a small number of Apple TV units to be connected to iTunes in order to complete the update.

Apple TV Software Update 4.4
FeatureSummary
Photo StreamView photos recently taken on your iOS device and pushed to your Photo Stream in iCloud.
AirPlay MirroringWirelessly stream what's on your iPhone 4S or iPad 2 screen to your HDTV.
National Hockey League *Watch live games. View highlights, scores, and more.
Wall Street JournalWatch up-to-date news, business commentary, and financial analysis from leading experts.
New Slideshow themesEnjoy your photos on your HDTV with new slideshow themes: Photo Wall, Flip-up, Shifting Tiles.
NetflixAdded support for subtitles when available.

claudiuid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi

one question for those who own an apple tv
if u play a movie on your ipad you will hear the sound in your tv speakers ?

thx in advance

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
claudiuid said:
hi

one question for those who own an apple tv
if u play a movie on your ipad you will hear the sound in your tv speakers ?

thx in advance

Yes, everything comes through your tv.

The Archangel

R0ss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't get my airplay working. I am on an iPad2 with iOS 5 and I just bought Apple TV today.
I can view my pictures from my iPad on the TV without any problem but when I double click on the home button on scroll to the right to turn on mirroring although the icon turns blue nothing happens on the TV.
The post above suggests that Apple TV software 4.4 includes the ability to mirror. My Apple TV software is 4.3 but when I try and update it tells me that my Apple TV is up to date.
Someone tell me I missing something obvious... I don't want Apple TV if I can't mirror my iPad screen!!!

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
R0ss said:
I can't get my airplay working. I am on an iPad2 with iOS 5 and I just bought Apple TV today.
I can view my pictures from my iPad on the TV without any problem but when I double click on the home button on scroll to the right to turn on mirroring although the icon turns blue nothing happens on the TV.
The post above suggests that Apple TV software 4.4 includes the ability to mirror. My Apple TV software is 4.3 but when I try and update it tells me that my Apple TV is up to date.
Someone tell me I missing something obvious... I don't want Apple TV if I can't mirror my iPad screen!!!

you should call apple care

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

R0ss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Harley man said:
you should call apple care

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

Currently closed in the UK......
Will try them tomorrow or Monday.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue with regard to the Apple TV2 upgrade. Mine is on 4.3 and the latest upgrade is 4.4.1. When I go into the ATV2 settings and check for updates it says I'm on the latest version. I haven't done any research yet to see what can resolve this, but just wanted to add that others are in the same boat.

Last edited:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After doing some more research this apparently an issue for others as well. v4.4 was released and quickly pulled due to a bug. v4.4.1 was released and again pulled but then released again...however for whatever reason, although folks with 4.4 can upgrade to 4.4.1, folks with v4.3 cannot. I guess we'll have to sit tight until this issue is sorted out.

FWIW I have seen AirPlay Mirroring in action so it does work (with v4.4, etc.).

OP
totemynote

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
totemynote said:
Yep, I'm off to the Apple store to get one. Called and they have them in stock. Wonder if they still have any 4S's LoL.

I really like it. The video mirroring is acceptable but I've also found I do enjoy it's more traditional uses such as viewing my photos/videos much more than I thought I would. And it made some of my game apps lots more fun. 'Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit' is great on it, there are infrequent lags but not enough to ruin the experience. Also OOO Gameprom pinball games are stellar on it.

Anyone else have specific apps they think are especially suited for AirPlay? If so please post them.

Moderation Notice: This post has been edited by a member of staff in accordance with the Forum Rules. No external links.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
totemynote

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
Great idea! There's already an AirPlay area on the iPF forum for these kinds of discussions.

AirPlay

Cool, I'll check it out.

----
Sorry about the link, the rule slipped my mind.

Most reactions

Latest posts