What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who has tried AirPlay Mirroring?

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a lag? Does it work with all apps? Please give your impressions of it. I'm debating getting a Apple TV specifically for this feature but haven't seen any solid reviews of it.

ChuckMead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Apple TV. I see a lag every once in a while, but very few. I expect this since we are doing everything wirelessly. I think it is worth it since now you can see everything on the big screen and even play Pandora. Everything that you see on the ipad will now appear there as well.
It took a little studying of various places to get everything needed to do this. One of the things I found that was a little unclear was where to find the button the ipad to get it working. Double click on the home button and swipe to the right to find mirroring icon.

OP
totemynote

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ChuckMead said:
I have Apple TV. I see a lag every once in a while, but very few. I expect this since we are doing everything wirelessly. I think it is worth it since now you can see everything on the big screen and even play Pandora. Everything that you see on the ipad will now appear there as well.
It took a little studying of various places to get everything needed to do this. One of the things I found that was a little unclear was where to find the button the ipad to get it working. Double click on the home button and swipe to the right to find mirroring icon.

Cool. Do you have Netflix or any of the cable companies apps? I know you said everything mirrors but I just want to make sure even these do too. I have a Netflix ready TV and cable but X-Finity has a lot of shows that are not available anywhere but the app.

scotland66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
totemynote said:
Cool. Do you have Netflix or any of the cable companies apps? I know you said everything mirrors but I just want to make sure even these do too. I have a Netflix ready TV and cable but X-Finity has a lot of shows that are not available anywhere but the app.

I mirror bbc iplayer, which is a video app similar to Netflix. I have found that it isn't as smooth on tv as it is on iPad itself, also even on full screen the image on tv is smaller in like a box.

OP
totemynote

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scotland66 said:
I mirror bbc iplayer, which is a video app similar to Netflix. I have found that it isn't as smooth on tv as it is on iPad itself, also even on full screen the image on tv is smaller in like a box.

Ahh yeah, I had a feeling if it was possible it would be of poorer quality. I will probably get it anyway though, going to look for a used one on eBay/craigslist. It does seem like a cool feature after all. I am betting your photos mirror in high quality.

scotland66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
totemynote said:
Ahh yeah, I had a feeling if it was possible it would be of poorer quality. I will probably get it anyway though, going to look for a used one on eBay/craigslist. It does seem like a cool feature after all. I am betting your photos mirror in high quality.

Photos are great, I mean the video mirroring is also very watchable, just not quite smooth enough but not bad. Maybe this will be corrected in the first update.

OP
totemynote

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scotland66 said:
Photos are great, I mean the video mirroring is also very watchable, just not quite smooth enough but not bad. Maybe this will be corrected in the first update.

Yes, it'll improve in time I'm sure.

Thanks for the info to both of you.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By the sound of it, where apps have built in AirPlay you may be better using those direct, I have iPad 1 so no unlimited mirroring, less RAM, slower processor but all the apps I use with AirPlay run sensationally.....I watched Thor via my iPad on a big screen TV and it looked amazing and I've also been watching the Rugby World Cup using the ITV RWC app and it looks pretty damn good. Just my 2 cents.

The Archangel

OP
totemynote

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
By the sound of it, where apps have built in AirPlay you may be better using those direct, I have iPad 1 so no unlimited mirroring, less RAM, slower processor but all the apps I use with AirPlay run sensationally.....I watched Thor via my iPad on a big screen TV and it looked amazing and I've also been watching the Rugby World Cup using the ITV RWC app and it looks pretty damn good. Just my 2 cents.

The Archangel

Yep, I'm off to the Apple store to get one. Called and they have them in stock. Wonder if they still have any 4S's LoL.

OP
totemynote

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Oh it's never ending......my bank weeps when I go to the Apple Store!

The Archangel

I know it, right? There is one three miles from my house. Every single time I walk in I walk back about at least $50 lighter.

[edit: But I never regret it]

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cool. Do you have Netflix or any of the cable companies apps?

apple tv have netflix built in, and to me its the best interface....my sony tv, the ps3, iOS app netflix, never tried my xbox netflix...but i prefer apple tv Netflix.

youtube too...

also my apple tv 2 is jailbroken, with more features than stock.

ChuckMead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The apps will have much more definition than the mirroring and apple tv shows the netflix perfectly. Prehaps your connection is slow or your router is the problem. I find that tv shows from the network web sites will play just as good as what I am seeing on the ipad screen. As to what I am reading in this discussion let me say that this stuff sells itself and there is a place for everything. It is up to us to care for it.

jeffreydc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes Netflix does look good DIRECTLY off Apple TV but doesn't have subtitles and my wife needs that option. My Internet speed is 50mb/s so if that's not fast enough for streaming then the apple tv device was a VERY poorly designed product indeed!

Most reactions

Latest posts