What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When does Best Buy get the rMIni LTE?

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A friend said they looked at one today at Best Buy, I'll have to take a look myself. I read an article on NBC news that said 4g connectivity would cost $130 more. I don't remember that being an option when I got my first mini, which was a 4G LTE. This suggest a 3G for $130 less? That don't sound right, is LTE Exclusive to 4G only? Anyone get one yet, what's the story?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A friend said they looked at one today at Best Buy, I'll have to take a look myself. I read an article on NBC news that said 4g connectivity would cost $130 more. I don't remember that being an option when I got my first mini, which was a 4G LTE. This suggest a 3G for $130 less? That don't sound right, is LTE Exclusive to 4G only? Anyone get one yet, what's the story?

Not quite sure what you are asking. There is no 3G version of any mini, they are all LTE/4G. And yes, they charge an extra 130$. The good news is that now you get a world device for that extra money, so if you travel you can use the same iPad anywhere in the world by just changing out the SIM card. Also, the GPS chip comes only in the LTE/4G version.

The wifi only version is 130$ less, if that is what you mean. It has no GPS chip inside.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The new iPad Mini retinas are in short supply, and expected to be that way for a while. It's going to be catch as catch can probably all the way through the holidays. I won't go into the many theories as to why this is, other than to say it's probably why Apple did not set off fireworks when the new Mini launched.

I don't know why the LTE thing got started for referring the new models, since as AQ_OC said, the iPad Minis have had LTE models since the first generation. First time I've seen rPad Mini. It's the iPad mini with Retinal Display, or iPad Mini Retina for short.

It's not that I care all that much what people call them, as long as we all know what we are talking about. That's a loosing battle lost too many times. But the rPad and LTE things are potentially confusing.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The new iPad Mini retinas are in short supply, and expected to be that way for a while. It's going to be catch as catch can probably all the way through the holidays. I won't go into the many theories as to why this is, other than to say it's probably why Apple did not set off fireworks when the new Mini launched.

I don't know why the LTE thing got started for referring the new models, since as AQ_OC said, the iPad Minis have had LTE models since the first generation. First time I've seen rPad Mini. It's the iPad mini with Retinal Display, or iPad Mini Retina for short.

It's not that I care all that much what people call them, as long as we all know what we are talking about. That's a loosing battle lost too many times. But the rPad and LTE things are potentially confusing.

Have you guys been to seaturtle.org? On that site you can punch in your zip code and the model of idevice you are looking for and it will give you an availability list within a fairly large radius of your zip. What I saw just an hour ago is I can get a 128gb mini 2 now but the LTE/4G version is unavailable at the moment. Makes me wonder if the mini is really in short supply at all, not counting the cellular models, which don't seem to be available anywhere.

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I understand now, $130 more for the wifi+cell version. Thank you. Sorry to the ZMAN, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Yup there at a Best Buy near me. Ya got some gift cards ha, birthday?

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think your right Col.Bris, I was probably misinformed. Wish I had wifi at home, I live out in the sticks and have to do it all with cell signal. Expensive!

OP
zman

zman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
World wide they are in short supply only apple,store and online apple in Australia have stock with 5 to 7 day delivery

They occasionally show up at Apple Stores here in the USA too...but I need to get it at Best Buy to use my gift cards and to rack up rewards points :) The BB website keep saying "coming soon".

SEATURTLE.ORG - iPad mini Retina Grid

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My cellular mini 2 just shipped from China, so I would be looking for some best buys to be getting some stock any day now. No telling how long devices will be in stores, so one best be ready.

Most reactions

Latest posts