What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

when 3G not available will Ipad use Edge?

quiltfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Was wondering if you live in an area where 3G is spotty, if edge will provide you with service on the Ipad 3G?

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Was wondering if you live in an area where 3G is spotty, if edge will provide you with service on the Ipad 3G?

Good question, I would assume that it will degrade gracefully to Edge similar to an iPhone, but I'm not positive.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm curious since it's just a data plan if the signal will be better than telephony+data plans. I heard edge is like dial up for data.

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's being gracious.

I consider 3G to be dial-up for data, Edge is very slow dial-up for data

Last edited:

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On a more direct answer to your question, all 3G hardware will drop back to Edge (2G) when there is no 3G available.

I use commercial modems for work and they are strictly Edge. At this point Edge is so slow that many applications time out before it can transmit the data.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to the AT&T signal map I'm in the strongest area but o guess I'll know the truth soon enough.

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can get over 100kbps over Edge which isn't as bad as dialup (which maxxed out at 56kbps, but realistically couldn't go over 52kbps) -- There were a lot of Nexus One owners who could only use Edge since they used the Nexus One on AT&T. They got up to 300kbps sometimes.

So, it's not quite dialup more like ISDN on Steroids :)

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, it's not quite dialup more like ISDN on Steroids :)

So now, 'I' stand corrected.

I guess the internet is just so media intensive now that having 100k feels like in the dial up days when you had a poor phone line and could only get a 14.4k connection.

Most reactions

Latest posts