What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the best movie resolution and bitrate for best battery life?

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The screen is 1024x768. So I assume that any movie resolution not exceeding this is fine.

The question is to those who watches movies a lot. What movie resolution and video bitrate is the best for battery life while the video quality is still acceptable for most of the eyes?

Thanks.

Oops

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good question... I just stream everything I watch with video stream application... Never bothered about the fundamentals.. But yea good question.

OP
bat0nas

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yep. Good question :)
I found a free application (RipBot264 1.16.5 - VideoHelp.com Downloads) to convert my movies/animations_for_my_kids.

And it has options to leave the current resolution or to select from a list (or even custom). There are options for bitrate as well (set the one I want or choose and output file size and application will determine bitrate automatically).

Here's an iPad guide: Convert Anything to iPad, iPod, Etc with RipBot | Adubvideo

I don't think anybody tries all possible resolutions and bitrates on their iPad (it's just too time consuming).

But maybe someone has an expert knowledge what bitrate and resolution would be optimal for iPad screen (keeping in mind it's quality, watching distance, and default player capabilities for instance - upscaling).

chevyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't give a technical answer, but I can tell you, I haven't really noticed any difference in battery drain, between my regular definition .avi files and my 720p .mp4 or .mkv movie files. Hope this helps some?

OP
bat0nas

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for your answers. Just tested some files and even standard resolution looks great with avplayerhd ;)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts