What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HD video playback resolution problem, iPad 1 with IOS 5.1.1

Brainbox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After upgrading my iPad 1 to 5.1.1, my HD movies that I did buy from iTunes do not play back well. Only the centre part of the video image is visible, as if the HD resolution is incorrectly rendered to the resolution of the screen. The not fitting edges of the video resolution "fall off" or are "outside" the screen now.

Using 4.X I did not have this problem, I could view HD movies correctly seeing the entire image, also the edges that are now missing.

I think the video player of the new IOS 5.1.1 version does not take into account low resolution of the iPad 1 screen.

What can I do?

-
Maybe convert the video's on my iMac to the exact resolution of the iPad 1? This would have the additional advantage of reduced filesize. For audio, it is possible to set a max. bitrate in iTunes sync so that it converts files while syncing, but there's no such setting to limit the video resolution while syncing.

-
What would be a good simple app that can play HD better on iPad 1? But I guess also the app's use the same OS service to display stuff, so that probably this does not provide any improvement?

-
??? <insert better solution here>

Am I the only one experiencing this problem? I did not find any information about this issue anywhere....

Thanks in advance, cheers,
B.

D

dvdcatalyst

Hi Brainbox,

If you tap on the video while it is playing on your iPad, you should see a little icon underneath the battery icon:

ipad3-video-zoom.jpg

tap on that, and it will let you switch between "zoom" and "widescreen" mode.

Most reactions

Latest posts