What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video format (format, filesize, resolution) recommendations for iPad

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi,
I want to upload my collection of Animation (for my kids) to iPad. And all of them are either 1080p or 720p. And the screen is 1024x768.

I want to save battery, so I guess I don't need hi-res files (the screen simply doesn't support that).

Questions:
- What video resolution is the best for iPad? Is it recommended to decrease the resolution of my video files to fit the iPad screen? Or should I search for copies with lower resolution (xvids) and don't bother with mkv file downsizing?
- What is the optimal file size of a full lenght movie (1.5-2h max)? Still good enough to watch and save the battery.
- What format? Is it mp4?
- Does iPad by default support few audio tracks? Are there any free players which support few audio tracks?
- What about subtitles? Are they supported by default (turning them on or off)? Supported by any free video players?

It's not a question about the tools. I just want to know what is recommended for and supported by iPad.

Later I will google for tools to achieve that.

Thanks!

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
First off, just get the video in and try it out. Your ressy is close to the iPads resident ressy, so it'll automatically size it beautifully with no noticeable degrade.

Apple products, specifically the iPad, use movie formats such as mp4 and mov (and variations on those codecs), but there are downloadable players from the app store that allow you to play almost any animation types.

As for audio, again you'll need to try and experiment.

Try the new iMovie app. This'll allow you to edit all the above options you're thinking about

OP
bat0nas

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks foxreal. Looks great.

chinajon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before you try some other tools, try iTunes. For example there is a movie called nin-9 about a puppet living in a post Armageddon world. The avi is 708 megabytes. the mp4 is 384.9 megabytes. iTunes can create versions of media for different players. If you have a Mac or Windows pc the best tool is MPEG Streamclip, and it is free.

saisandeepchitta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
for every video even 1080p in ipad (any generation)

hi frnz...for watching any video in mp4 format of any resolution just use "usb disk" application from itunes...ur problem will be solve..if ur happy with this js thank me..else suggest me..:):):D

Most reactions

Latest posts