What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your favorite OS for your mobile device?

dreamerdonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I know this forum is dedicated for iPad. But I think many member of this forum also have android devices. So my question is which device and which iOS you like most and why. Right now I don't have any android device of my own. But recently I am thinking about to have one. So let me know your opinion. Thanks in advance. :p

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Android and iOS devices. Both work well for me, differently. I have no allegiance. What works, I buy, and I don't limit myself.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I have Android and iOS devices. Both work well for me, differently. I have no allegiance. What works, I buy, and I don't limit myself.

I don't do that any more. It's good advice. Ironically, my faux pas was to steer well clear of Apple, in favor of Microsoft. If the iPad has taught me one thing, it's that I should have considered the Mac years ago.

Shifting back on topic, I had a Windows phone and hated it. Much prefer iOS. My wife has a Blackberry, and can't wait until her contract is up so she can get an iPhone, although she loves her Blackberry Playbook. My son dumped his iPhone for Android, and couldn't be paid to go back. The youngest one is sold on iOS, basically because he gets his toys bought for him.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't do that any more. It's good advice. Ironically, my faux pas was to steer well clear of Apple, in favor of Microsoft. If the iPad has taught me one thing, it's that I should have considered the Mac years ago.

Shifting back on topic, I had a Windows phone and hated it. Much prefer iOS. My wife has a Blackberry, and can't wait until her contract is up so she can get an iPhone, although she loves her Blackberry Playbook. My son dumped his iPhone for Android, and couldn't be paid to go back. The youngest one is sold on iOS, basically because he gets his toys bought for him.

My husband uses a combo. He clings to his Zune (lol), has a Windows phone and has inherited my iPhone 4, along with using two old iPods. He's a hardcore Windows guy -- writes code for fun. He has a man cave full of PCs and laptops. It's probably a room that a teenage boy would daydream about, lol. I got him an iPad, which he barely used, so we gave it away.

My company tried to give me a Blackberry, which I declined, lol. I love my Samsung Galaxy Note phablet, which I got after iPhone 4S. I still use my iPhone sometimes, for media and as a phone overseas. I've got a couple of Kindle Fire HDs and a couple of iPads (just gave away one), and I've got a Samsung Galaxy Tab on order. I was considering a Microsoft Surface pro, but have ruled it out for various reasons. I have used Windows for decades, but I tried a MBP, didn't care for it and went back to Windows. I'm thinking about getting the new Samsung Galaxy Note phablet, which I really have no use for. I just want, want, want it. But for me it would be like having 10 speeds and not knowing how to shift gears, lol.

Houdini5150

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only experienced android on a crap droid x.... Getting an iPhone end January. Insure ill love the iOS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Houdini5150 said:
Only experienced android on a crap droid x.... Getting an iPhone end January. Insure ill love the iOS

One thing you're sure to love is the interoperability. That is one of my favorite features of iOS. Update a document on one device and the changes are made on the others.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing you're sure to love is the interoperability. That is one of my favorite features of iOS. Update a document on one device and the changes are made on the others.

I do that across platforms with apps like Dropbox, Evernote, etc. For books, I use Kindle -- many platforms. For audiobooks, Audible -- ditto. For movies, Netflix -- ditto. For music, I've switched to Amazon's audio player -- ditto. For contacts and calendar, Google. For SMS, Whatsapp.

When I choose what to use, I make sure I get as many options as possible -- flexibility for now as well as possible eventualities. I try not to pay money and handcuff myself to anyone's hardware. If I decide to switch hardware, I don't want to be forced to leave my content behind.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an android smartphone, an iPad and a windows PC. I also use Dropbox, Google Calendar, Evernote, Kindle and Amazon cloud player. It's a good way to stay synced between the devices.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I know this forum is dedicated for iPad. But I think many member of this forum also have android devices. So my question is which device and which iOS you like most and why. Right now I don't have any android device of my own. But recently I am thinking about to have one. So let me know your opinion. Thanks in advance. :p

I have the mini and the 3 as well as the nexus 7 and nexus 10, both of which run Android 4.2.1. Jelly Bean is the absolute best version of Android (I had an Acer Iconia, tried an Asus Infinity Pad TF700, and a Kindle Fire HD 8.9) around. I think I like the Nexus 10 more than I like the 7. I've seen both of these tabs get laggy while playing games.

IMO, iOS is just the smoothest mobile OS around. And the app selection is just off the charts compared to Android. I like apps and for me, lots of them enrich the experience of owning and using a tablet. Android just doesn't seem to hold a candle, not to say the tablet is not useful. The Nexus 10 actually rocks the best for content...I've got mine setup to use flash so I can do Amazon Prime videos on it. Still, my overall favorites are the iPad...the mini will be my absolute fav once it gets that retina screen...but it is certainly the one I like to have when i'm sitting on the couch.

BTW, trying to type forum posts here on either of the Nexus devices is some kind of nightmare. I cant' exactly figure out what the problem is, but I'm forced to either use the app or grab an iPad.

On, the mini rocks at game play....I have seen warning about low-memory conditions when starting certain games after having had a lot of stuff in memory...I suspect some apps are closing right or something. I just remove everything and play is always what you expect.

The screen on the Nexus 10 is certainly every bit on par with the retina iPads. Text is crisp and clear. They same to have the same color temp as the iPads too, which is not the case for the Nexus 7. The sound on the Nexus 10 is a pleasure too, compared to the other Android tab I had, the Asus Infinity iPad. I could hold that thing right to my face and still have to struggle to hear it. Took that back!!! The Kindle Fire 8.9 just could not hold a candle to any of these, IMO. The "thick" skin on top of Android drove me nuts. Also, you could see distortions in the screen image if you put your fingers too close to the borders of the screen image. No way! I sent that thing back, even though I got it on sale for $50 off.

My particular Nexus 10 has noticeable light bleed in the lower right corner. I can see it right now while sitting here listening to a Sade video...the image is lovely still. I'm too lazy to take it back trying to get a perfect screen, though. I can live with it. My iPad show no noticeable light bleed. I did see some on the Kindle and the Infinity Pad.

I admit that Android has a lot of flexibility, which can be a plus sometimes. But I think that flexibility comes at a cost...needs lots of processor power to keep the OS running smoothly. And it is very disappointing to see how some apps deal with the high-res screen. I have some apps that simply won't load on my Nexus 7....can't say how much that pisses me off. No issues like that on iOS and the iPads.

Finally, the battery life on both of the Androids comes up short compared to the iPads. And the Nexus 10 takes quite a while to charge up, too.

Anyway, just some random thoughts....Sade is really sounding good right now...

OP
D

dreamerdonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My husband uses a combo. He clings to his Zune (lol), has a Windows phone and has inherited my iPhone 4, along with using two old iPods. He's a hardcore Windows guy -- writes code for fun. He has a man cave full of PCs and laptops. It's probably a room that a teenage boy would daydream about, lol. I got him an iPad, which he barely used, so we gave it away.

My company tried to give me a Blackberry, which I declined, lol. I love my Samsung Galaxy Note phablet, which I got after iPhone 4S. I still use my iPhone sometimes, for media and as a phone overseas. I've got a couple of Kindle Fire HDs and a couple of iPads (just gave away one), and I've got a Samsung Galaxy Tab on order. I was considering a Microsoft Surface pro, but have ruled it out for various reasons. I have used Windows for decades, but I tried a MBP, didn't care for it and went back to Windows. I'm thinking about getting the new Samsung Galaxy Note phablet, which I really have no use for. I just want, want, want it. But for me it would be like having 10 speeds and not knowing how to shift gears, lol.
Are you a relative of Bruce Wayne??? My goodness, even BATMAN don't have that much of gadget.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MoonlitSonata said:
I wouldn't touch Android with a 100 foot pole. iOS all the way.

Lol!!! I tried to like Android but it is not as polished as IOS.

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you a relative of Bruce Wayne??? My goodness, even BATMAN don't have that much of gadget.

Too bad for Bruce Wayne. I have a few other gadgets that I didn't even mention, lol. I'm tempted to get more, but I'd need more time to play with them. So I need someone to invent a time machine.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting the new Samsung Galaxy Note phablet, which I really have no use for. I just want, want, want it. But for me it would be like having 10 speeds and not knowing how to shift gears, lol.

That's funny....I say get it if you want it. Lots of people ride 10-speeds (well, I'm not sure how many of those are around these days) and rarely shift gears (gears are a wonderful thing on a bike, though).

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's funny....I say get it if you want it. Lots of people ride 10-speeds (well, I'm not sure how many of those are around these days) and rarely shift gears (gears are a wonderful thing on a bike, though).

I think I'd not get good enough use of the myriad features, and it would be a waste. With cell phones, manufacturers have surpassed my needs, so I don't have justification for upgrading right now.

With bikes, I did get justification for buying a cute new retro-style one, because I loaned a college intern my ten-speed, and it was stolen.

Most reactions

Latest posts