What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the difference between sync and backup?

linsipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've read on this forum that there have been times when someone has restored to a backup. What is that and how do you do it?

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when you sync your device to the computer using iTunes it auto backup your device.....usually the settings, text messages, notes, contacts, etc, etc......please find out what else is backed up.

backups are good,... example: if you lose your device, the new device can use your old backup, and basically look the same way you left it.
other good uses for backups, but you should get the point.

not everything gets backed up, do your own research.

restore-from-backup-ipad-itunes-mac.png

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
image 1 above, you can backup without syncing, and transfer purchases is always recommended, although iOS 5 is covering most of this.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, so a sync does a backup?

when you sync, it does steps...in image below, the first step does a backup, so when you sync, just check to see if it does a backup, its almost guaranteed to do one.

iphone-itunes-sync.png

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I, too, have often wondered if the words,"sync" and "back up" were synonymous...thanks for making it clearer to me as well! :eek:

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
this can keep your apps and such in sync, over the air....automatically.

example: 2 devices(or as much), on 1 iTunes ID, with this image below, found in iTunes preferences(once they are checked)....when you download an app on 1 device, it will automatically download to the other devices and iTunes.

enable-itunes-automatic-downloads_thumb%255B2%255D.jpg

OP
linsipad

linsipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, if I only want to backup what I have installed on my ipad from itunes (books & music) then do I have to sync? And how would I do that?

takeshi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I, too, have often wondered if the words,"sync" and "back up" were synonymous...
Even in a general sense (not just referring to the iPad) they're not. A backup is just essentially a copy for safekeeping. Sync involves updating data on both ends (additions, deletions, changes).

OP
linsipad

linsipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. So, if I only want to backup the purchases I made on the ipad to the pc, I don't need to sync?

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. So, if I only want to backup the purchases I made on the ipad to the pc, I don't need to sync?

the images answer your questions.

an image above shows "transfer purchases"(it does exactly what it says). post #2

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score

post #7 in red box....once checked, they will auto backup to iTunes also.
and onto other devices too, if using the same account.

Most reactions