What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi sync or icloud back up

scotland66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My brain is turned off at the moment!
What's the difference between wifi sync and iCloud backup? I realize that with wifi sync data is stored local on iTunes and with iCloud it's in the cloud.
But do I need to do both or choose between one of the two?
Would be grateful for any advise
Thanx
Nick

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was wondering the same for myself. I understand the icloud, but at present have not sent anything to it....but do you have to have the icloud backed up, inorder to do a wifi sync? I am going to do a further search on this. Perhaps this has been mentioned already...:eek:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My brain is turned off at the moment!
What's the difference between wifi sync and iCloud backup? I realize that with wifi sync data is stored local on iTunes and with iCloud it's in the cloud.
But do I need to do both or choose between one of the two?
Would be grateful for any advise
Thanx
Nick
Scotland66-if you do a search and type in Wifi sync-there's an extensive thread pertaining to this, which may answer your question. I think it has for mine. Sorry that I cannot do the fancy link, but just do the SEARCH.

garanth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing that Apple points out is: If you’re using iCloud to store your contacts, calendars, bookmarks, and notes, don’t also sync them to iPad using iTunes. You may get duplicates etc if you do.

Also note that (unless you purchase more) you only get 5Gb space on ICloud, although that limit does NOT include your Music or apps.

Personally I still sync with Itunes, but also do a regular backup to Icloud "just in case" my Computer dies.

jarnold

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I cannot run iTunes or the iCloud interface on my computer. (Don't ask). Can I use iCloud to sync EVERYTHING on my iPad2? If so, is there a discussion or tutorial about how to do that somewhere that you can point me to?

Thanks
Jon

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing that Apple points out is: If you’re using iCloud to store your contacts, calendars, bookmarks, and notes, don’t also sync them to iPad using iTunes. You may get duplicates etc if you do.

Also note that (unless you purchase more) you only get 5Gb space on ICloud, although that limit does NOT include your Music or apps.

Personally I still sync with Itunes, but also do a regular backup to Icloud "just in case" my Computer dies.

I believe that my notes, calendar and contacts, notes and apps are backed up by cloud-I am assuming that it is since whatever apps I purchase for my ipad it is than wirelessly sync'd to my ipod touch.

Other than that-I still update to itunes-PC direct. I haven't yet tried to set up my icloud account,but will try in a few days. :)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I cannot run iTunes or the iCloud interface on my computer. (Don't ask). Can I use iCloud to sync EVERYTHING on my iPad2? If so, is there a discussion or tutorial about how to do that somewhere that you can point me to?

Thanks
Jon

If you do a SEARCH for iOS 5 and/or Icloud--there is a ton of information and stickies related to this topic. You would best start that there. To me, it a big concept to wrap my head around, and I have found a lot of learned skills just by reading from others' expertise. Good luck. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts