What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is pre-jailbroken?

daddywoofdawg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a Ipad 2 and it is Pre-jail broken(OK),what does this mean?I have been a PC user for years and thinking about going to the darkside.Also everything I have is set-up for PC is the Ipad going to play nicely with my network,printer etc.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Jail broken is a hacked device. Pre-jail broken means as it comes from the factory line. As it's originally sold. It's best state ;)

My ipad2 interacts nicely with my pc and wireless printer. Be warned, iOS is a very different way of working than ms windows. Very different.

Last edited:

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
Be warned, iOS is a very different way of working than ms windows. Very different.
As true as this is and I don't want you to be put under the impression that they're at all alike but what I'm saying, because they're not; iOS is pretty simplistic when it comes down to it. There are features that you might not understand but chances are you won't need them. In the end, providing you read the manual that comes with your iPad (can also be found very easily on the iBooks app and the apple website) you will be fine (I'm very familiar with iOS and I still read it just in case), plus, we're more than happy to help you get you over any hurdles you might get stuck on :).

On the point of your question about the iPad interacting nicely with your wifi and printer I can almost 100% garuntee that your iPad will be okay with your wifi. Something I can't be quite so sure about if whether you can print from your iPad. The iPad can only print from AirPrint enabled printers which means If you don't have one, you'll need to find some workaround (such as emailing it to your computer and printing that way). Unfortunatly AirPrint isn't always reliable, it only works on my iPad about 30% of the time, however, I'm fortunate to own a printer with an eprint functionality which means that I can email anything I need to a unique email that came with my printer (it can be changed to something memorable) and thus I get around it that way.
Best of luck with buying your iPad and I hope I've helped.

EDIT: Just thought I'd give you the link to an exhaustive list of AirPrint compatible printers: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4356

Sent via iPF from my iPad.

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pre-Jailbroken probably means that the owner has already jailbroken the device. It will operate just like a normal iPad, but the restrictions which Apple puts around the standard iPad are lifted somewhat. This means you can add apps and tweaks to the iPad which Apple do not allow in the app store. For example, themes, tethering, fonts, and many changes to the way the "springboard" works (that's the screens you use to navigate your apps on the iPad).

Have a look here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak-applications-tweaks/25824-ultimate-list-jailbreak-tweaks.html
and here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-themes/67456-2uinique-ipad-theme-winterboard.html
and here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...ch-attach-any-file-e-mail-while-mail-app.html

for some examples of what you can do when jailbroken...

My only word of caution with this is that a pre-jailbroken device will already be set-up by the owner. It may have some (or potentially lots) of stuff on it which you don't necessarily want. It may also be linked to his/her iTunes account. Normally, you want to restore a second hand device and wipe it clean. But, if you do that, you will lose the jailbreak, and if it is an iPad2 on 5.0.1 you won't be able to get the jailbreak back any time soon. It's worth checking with the seller whether it is a clean device freshly jailbroken on 5.0.1 or whether they have used it for a while and simply uninstalled their stuff from it...

Hope that helps.

Most reactions