What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is it?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
nathan the ipad lover said:
No, they are 5"25 floppy disks

Each holding 170kb of information, in 35 tracks, if I'm not mistaken.

It's up to you, Nathan. As nobody answered your challenge, you either get to set another one or throw it open.

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Due to the inactivity on this thread, I'm posting this challenge.

What is this? What is the name of the object this photo is a part of?

image-480111675.jpg

Last edited:
OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
It's the focus ring on a camera lens. The larger numbers gives an estimate of the focus distance. I'm not sure what the smaller numbers are for.

Almost correct, it's part of the lens mounting. The focusing mount for the standard lens is part of the camera body with this lens. Back in the day, this manufacturer was Leica's main competitor. The smaller numbers are part of the depth of field scale.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Almost correct, it's part of the lens mounting. The focusing mount for the standard lens is part of the camera body with this lens. Back in the day, this manufacturer was Leica's main competitor. The smaller numbers are part of the depth of field scale.

I thought that's what the small numbers might be for, but wasn't willing bet on it without seeing more.

Hmm, Leica competitor. Did they have one? ;)

I just saw the second picture, and going by the partial name visible I'm going to guess Minolta (the words like like they spell might Concica, which might be an earlier spelling of Konica).

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, not Konica. This camera dates to 1932 and was made in the same country as the Leica.

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Ok, just guessing now, since I don't see any other manufacturers I can match the partial word too.

Hasselblad?

or

Zeiss?

It's a 35mm camera, pre-WWII. Here's another photo of the front of the camera.

image-4277872317.jpg

BTW, Hasselblad is Swedish, not German, as this camera is.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A Contax, by Zeiss? No idea what model. I did not find any matches for you picture, just that the letters might match.

That's my last guess for now.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
A Contax, by Zeiss? No idea what model. I did not find any matches for you picture, just that the letters might match.

Kodak. (Googled it ;-) )

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

Close enough, twerppoet. It's the second version of the Contax I camera. This particular camera is an extremely rare variant that focuses to 0.8 meters instead of the standard 0.9 meters. I bought it on eBay several years ago and the seller certainly didn't know how rare it was.

image-733980514.jpg

image-2550048565.jpgYour turn, twerppoet.

Most reactions

Latest posts