What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is Add to Reading List in Safari?

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What is the difference between Add to Reading List and Add Bookmark in Safari? I try Add to Reading List but I can't see it anywhere. Would I be able to read off-line what is referred to by Add to Reading List?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
From the ios 6 manual...which was gears towards the iPhone 5, but should help.

“Use Reading List to collect webpages and read them later:
Add the current webpage: Tap , then tap “Add to Reading List.” With iPhone*4 or later, the webpage is saved as well as the link, so you can read it even when you can’t connect to the Internet.
Add the destination of a link: Touch and hold the link, then tap “Add to Reading List.”
“View your reading list: Tap , then tap Reading List.
Delete an item from your reading list:* Swipe the item, then tap Delete.”

Excerpt From: Inc, Apple. “iPhone User Guide For iOS 6.” Apple Inc., 2012. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBookstore: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/iphone-user-guide-for-ios-6/id563272542?mt=11

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
From the ios 6 manual...which was gears towards the iPhone 5, but should help.

Well, as I said that I can tap and add to the reading list. However, I can't find where the reading list is.
Do you still think the manual of iPhone User Guide For iOS 6 applies to my iPad 5.1.1.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Would I be able to update my uPad1 with iOS6?

You won't be able to update to 6 with the iPad 1. You can only go to ios 5.1.

Here is the ios 5.1 iBook: http://itunes.apple.com/sg/book/ipad-user-guide-for-ios-5.1/id509611900?mt=11]iTunes

Since you have an iPad 1, see below regarding the reading list:

image-2409154234.jpg

Last edited:

Cyprus Lady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To find the reading list you open safari, click on the little icon at the top of the page for the bookmark, at the bottom of the bookmarks list is an icon of a pair of glasses. That's your reading list.

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To find the reading list you open safari, click on the little icon at the top of the page for the bookmark, at the bottom of the bookmarks list is an icon of a pair of glasses. That's your reading list.

Thanks! I've found them, but I can't read them without Internet connection. So there is no difference between Bookmarks and Reading List. One of the features must be redundant.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
healer said:
Thanks! I've found them, but I can't read them without Internet connection. So there is no difference between Bookmarks and Reading List. One of the features must be redundant.

The difference is in the use. The reading list entries can be set to disappear once you have read them.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The difference is in the use. The reading list entries can be set to disappear once you have read them.

Thanks! Are you saying there is an option to be set whether the reading list entries are to disappear once they are read? Where are the settings?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. You can toggle between all items or unread. I'll do a Skitch later. I don't have access to my iPad right now.

Most reactions

Latest posts