What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What I see in my backyard...

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What campus is that, Ski?
Sorry Ski, this is the quote I was referring to. I am totally in the wrong about being ignored! But not this time. I'm going back to my doc. On Netflix which is GREAT! If you want to check it out I wrote about it in thread "what are you doing right now" have look it' said very interesting film done in England with English children beginning at age 7!

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No worries ski, Could be a couple of days or so but I'll make a point of getting some pics on here for you.
Andrew

Oh, that may not be necessary ski as I just remembered I have some school magazines from all that time ago. I'll still take some photos when I'm in the area but these rather poor shots with the iPad will give you some idea of what I'm on about. I know there's little resemblance, it's just that your piccy of that beaut building on your campus stirred a memory:) The third photo out of the mag is me in the school's rifle shooting team. To my embarrassment I'm that blonde dude seated second from the right. Unbelievable how we all wore suits and ties in those days.;)
aha8y8ut.jpg

ybubudy6.jpg

ry4ymyta.jpg

Andrew

Sent from Oz using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Those were awesome pictures ...I love otters, foxes, where do you live to be able to see such glory Czevski? I hope I spelled your name right! Sorry if it's wrong, next time I'll get it right. :)
I live in central WI. I too love otters, foxes, and any critters I see. I belong to a bird club - at 74 I'm actually a newby at bird watching - but that's my current passion. However when I'm walking I'll take a photo of anything! (Maybe taking photos is my passion. I do leave the camera on auto though.) I enjoy living here except in mid-winter.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh, that may not be necessary ski as I just remembered I have some school magazines from all that time ago. I'll still take some photos when I'm in the area but these rather poor shots with the iPad will give you some idea of what I'm on about. I know there's little resemblance, it's just that your piccy of that beaut building on your campus stirred a memory:) The third photo out of the mag is me in the school's rifle shooting team. To my embarrassment I'm that blonde dude seated second from the right. Unbelievable how we all wore suits and ties in those days.;) Andrew Sent from Oz using Tapatalk
WELL! Thanks for showing us that Andrew! What a handsome lad you were! No girls in your high school? You guys make the best mates, my first love whom I met in University was from a school like that! They had to wear a uniform, which is I think, what you all are wearing. If it was just a matter of a suit and tie, I'm sure there would be some diversions, but you are all wearing a suit and tie! Yes, WHAT a handsome boy! Now I'm going to have to go backwards to find out how you and Ski have photo's of the same school! One of you in Oz and one of you in the USA, I thought anyway?

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I live in central WI. I too love otters, foxes, and any critters I see. I belong to a bird club - at 74 I'm actually a newby at bird watching - but that's my current passion. However when I'm walking I'll take a photo of anything! (Maybe taking photos is my passion. I do leave the camera on auto though.) I enjoy living here except in mid-winter.
You must know about cranberry fields then! Doesn't most of Ocean Spray's Cranberries come from Wisconsin? How long is your winter? I know you are into fall now from those beautiful shots you shared of the leaves turning, so how many months of winter do you get and how much snow in a normal winter? Normal for the last ten years that is! When you forget your camera do you just go back to where your auto was and find it on the ground? Or have you lost 1 or 2 ?

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh, that may not be necessary ski as I just remembered I have some school magazines from all that time ago. I'll still take some photos when I'm in the area but these rather poor shots with the iPad will give you some idea of what I'm on about. I know there's little resemblance, it's just that your piccy of that beaut building on your campus stirred a memory:) The third photo out of the mag is me in the school's rifle shooting team. To my embarrassment I'm that blonde dude seated second from the right. Unbelievable how we all wore suits and ties in those days.;) Andrew Sent from Oz using Tapatalk
Do you mean your high school in Oz only LOOKS exactly the same as Ski's picture of a building that was built after WWII ( I think it would be )? WOW! No kidding Andrew, those look like exactly the same building! That is truly amazing!

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
WELL! Thanks for showing us that Andrew! What a handsome lad you were! No girls in your high school? You guys make the best mates, my first love whom I met in University was from a school like that! They had to wear a uniform, which is I think, what you all are wearing. If it was just a matter of a suit and tie, I'm sure there would be some diversions, but you are all wearing a suit and tie! Yes, WHAT a handsome boy! Now I'm going to have to go backwards to find out how you and Ski have photo's of the same school! One of you in Oz and one of you in the USA, I thought anyway?
Thanks squib, ah to be 17 again LOL. It was an all-boys school when I started and only turned co-ed about 10 years after I left. At some time there they decided that it would be healthy for us guys in the senior classes to have contact with girls, so under very strict supervision they would have a nearby all-girls school come over Fridays after lunch for compulsory dancing classes. Unfortunately I was also in the school army cadets with training also on Fridays after the dancing classes, So we cadets would front up in uniform with our Lee Enfield .303 rifles slung over our shoulders to the great disgust of the dancing teachers from the girls school. It was also unfortunate that when you stepped up in those heavy army boots for a fox trot or whatever you couldn't feel the constant stepping on the feet of the poor girls. I suppose they still have that, but I'm sure the dances are different. At least we got to hold the girls then;) Sorry for the ramble;)
Andrew

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you mean your high school in Oz only LOOKS exactly the same as Ski's picture of a building that was built after WWII ( I think it would be )? WOW! No kidding Andrew, those look like exactly the same building! That is truly amazing!
Well not very similar but that photo merely triggered a memory:) And whoa I'm getting off topic here.
Andrew

Last edited:

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks squib, ah to be 17 again LOL. It was an all-boys school when I started and only turned co-ed about 10 years after I left. At some time there they decided that it would be healthy for us guys in the senior classes to have contact with girls, so under very strict supervision they would have a nearby all-girls school come over Fridays after lunch for compulsory dancing classes. Unfortunately I was also in the school army cadets with training also on Fridays after the dancing classes, So we cadets would front up in uniform with our Lee Enfield .303 rifles slung over our shoulders to the great disgust of the dancing teachers from the girls school. It was also unfortunate that when you stepped up in those heavy army boots for a fox trot or whatever you couldn't feel the constant stepping on the feet of the poor girls. I suppose they still have that, but I'm sure the dances are different. At least we got to hold the girls then;) Sorry for the ramble;) Andrew Sent from Oz using Tapatalk
Don't you dare apologize! That was a wonderful post! It reminded me exactly of my first loves stories here in BC, Canada. He went to a private school called St. George's.
All the rich kids picked on and did some rather nasty stuff to the poorer boys! I almost married him after five yrs. If there was no such thing as alcohol he was the perfect guy. Oh boy, he was my heart's desire that's for sure. Except for that! When things got physical I got out! Thanks for sharing those memories. You sounded so much like him and the stories of the girls and how they always got the girls school teachers' wrath! I wonder - nope don't have to, JA would have been one of those girl school teachers who never took her eyes off you and NEVER missed A THING!! :D
Thanks for the memories, Andrew, they were delightful!

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You must know about cranberry fields then! Doesn't most of Ocean Spray's Cranberries come from Wisconsin? How long is your winter? I know you are into fall now from those beautiful shots you shared of the leaves turning, so how many months of winter do you get and how much snow in a normal winter? Normal for the last ten years that is! When you forget your camera do you just go back to where your auto was and find it on the ground? Or have you lost 1 or 2 ?

I'm not sure what percent of Ocean Spray's cranberries come from WI but lots are produced here. As for snow, except for the first few snowfalls, there is TOO MUCH SNOW. I don't know any snow statistics. I either remember to bring my camera from home or forget it -I've never found it on the ground, thank goodness.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Glad to hear you know about the cranberries because my brothers go there for meeting quite often! Better snow tHan frost for the crops. And most of all I'm glad to hear you haven't lost a camera! I hope I understood your response to my post,

OP
skimonkey

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ski, what is this? You,ll answer Andrew's question but not mine. Interesting that it was built as a hospital for the soldiers, did I get that right? What college is it, or is it a University?

Sorry, but you posted after I responded to Andrew so I didn't see your post. Nothing personal, believe me!

The Campus is called Oakland University.

Last edited:
OP
skimonkey

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, that may not be necessary ski as I just remembered I have some school magazines from all that time ago. I'll still take some photos when I'm in the area but these rather poor shots with the iPad will give you some idea of what I'm on about. I know there's little resemblance, it's just that your piccy of that beaut building on your campus stirred a memory:) The third photo out of the mag is me in the school's rifle shooting team. To my embarrassment I'm that blonde dude seated second from the right. Unbelievable how we all wore suits and ties in those days.;)
aha8y8ut.jpg

ybubudy6.jpg

ry4ymyta.jpg

Andrew

Those are great pics, Andrew!

I see the resemblance in the structure of both your high school and the Human Health Building! Love the retro look if you will.

That's quite a handsome pic of you in the group shot, Andrew. Didn't know that there was such a thing as a rifle club, but sounds like your school focused on military form of education/teachings?

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Those are great pics, Andrew!

I see the resemblance in the structure of both your high school and the Human Health Building! Love the retro look if you will.

That's quite a handsome pic of you in the group shot, Andrew. Didn't know that there was such a thing as a rifle club, but sounds like your school focused on military form of education/teachings?

Thanks ski, all this kerfuffle by me here is because I saw a resemblance, prompting memories, re your nice campus architecture.
Interesting your comment about the military form of education. Not that really, it wasn't any kind of military academy, but this was about only 12 years after the war and I voluntarily joined the army cadets which every school had, I guess as a recreation. Weekly "training" with annual bivouacs in a real army camp were great fun. There was a separate, unconnected rifle shooting club there also.
I guess Australia was still very much gun conscious then, certainly not today. The thing that would be mind blowing today is that we were able to take our rifles home (no ammunition), and even take them on public transport etc, wearing our cadet uniforms, with no one batting an eye.
Today if anyone sat down in a bus with an army rifle between his knees the bus would be surrounded by the Star Force within minutes LOL. A more innocent naive world then. Sorry, long winded again;)
Andrew

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I love your memories about that Andrew, as well as what was so easy back then and what is so strident today! I remember my Dad teaching us four kids learn to shoot the double barrel shot guns not far from the house with a target to practice with. How to dig the butt of the gun deep in to your shoulder so you would not get the kick back. And then using a pistol. I got good enough at that to shoot from the hip and shoot the same can three times while it kicked it along the ground! That was so much fun! a blast in fact, :D

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts