What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stupid Mall Security Rent-A-Cops

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
There is a big mall not to far from where I live that has a large parking garage. I was in the area two days ago and I decided to drive up to the top floor of the parking garage to see what the view was like from up there to see if maybe it would be someplace worth coming back and taking pictures from with the sun going down. It turned out to be a pretty good view, the building is taller than most others in the city and you can see for miles. I get in my car to leave when this mall security truck comes up the ramp and pull up next to my car and winds down their window. I wind down my window to see what they want. He asks me what I'm doing up here, cars don't normal park on the top level and they watch it with the security camera. I explained that I was just checking what the view was like from up here to see if maybe I would come back with my camera to take some pictures. He tells me thats weird and that people dont ever come up to the top level of the parking garage. As he was saying that another car comes up the ramp to the top level, looks around and then leaves(probably because they saw the security truck). I point at the car and say I thought no one ever comes up to the top floor. The guy then sticks his head out of the truck window trying to look into my car and says "do you have any bodies in there?" I just laughted, wound up my window and left.

Then I go back yesterday with my camera to take some pictures of the sun going down with the view from up high. I get out of my car, snap 3 photos and then the same guy in the security truck shows up. Asks if I was the same guy that was up here the day before. I said yes that was me. He then said that he had an issue with me being there, this parking garage is private property and I would have to leave or he would call the police. I asked who I could talk to in the mall to get permission to take pictures for a few minutes. He said there is no one I can talk to. I asked to know who his supervisor was or who he reports to and he said that he was head of security and that there was no one above him.

I leave the top level, park my car down stairs and go into the store that is attached to the garage. I ask if there is any type of main office or customer service type area and the employee pointed me to the HR department. I ask in there about getting permissions to just go to the top level of the parking garage for a few minutes and take pictures. The manager said he had no idea why anyone would have any problems with that and that I should just go up and take pictures. I explained that the security already said no and that I would have to leave or they would call the police. The manager looked baffled and said, well not really anything we can do about that we don't even know who is in charge of the security that monitors that parking garage but what you can do Is just go to the parking garage that is right next to it, the security doesn't patrol that garage they only look over the first one. By this time it was already dark outside so I just left.

I go back today and drive up to the top of the second garage since the one manager said thats what I should do and that the security is only for the other garage (mind you that both garages are connected in the middle). I take a few pictures and then guess who shows up. Its that same mall cop in the security truck over on the top level of the first garage. He spots me over on the top of the second garage and just stops. I zoom in on his truck with my camera and he looked pissed. He just sat their watching me until I left.

Oh and by the way this security guard was watching the garage connected to the Macy's store, the second garage was just to a general mall entrance.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
one of the rent a cops and i had a talk one time about what is a compact parking spot in the mall parking lot i was driveing my smart car and pulled into a marked spot on the parking lot ..

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lol Mike you made his day.

Bet that's the most excitement he's had this year, but be careful he'll have an itchy finger now.........

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ever give a thought that he maybe doing his job,maybe not as courteous as he should be, never the less he could prevent the building being leveled with many people in it. But just like the TSA at airports you do have some AH that are overcome with their authority.

Al.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ever since they got their own TV show they began to think that they are real.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You never know where the mall cops will show up!

large_012509-paul-blart-mall-cop.jpg

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ever give a thought that he maybe doing his job,maybe not as courteous as he should be, never the less he could prevent the building being leveled with many people in it. But just like the TSA at airports you do have some AH that are overcome with their authority.

Al.

Poo. He's being over zealous. He's a wanna be cop who watches too many cop shows on the TV. Been there, seen that.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
one of the rent a cops and i had a talk one time about what is a compact parking spot in the mall parking lot i was driveing my smart car and pulled into a marked spot on the parking lot ..

You've got to be kidding! The only thing smaller than a Smart is a Schwinn - if those can't use compact spaces, there's no such thing as a compact!

Re the OP's issue - I'm pretty surprised someone working in security has never seen that. Car clubs are always taking pictures on parking garage rooftops, at least in Chicago - I can pretty much tell you where any car was parked based on the skyline at this point. I've never heard of anyone being hassled by security for taking pictures. (Though we had a couple of young knuckleheads booted for doing 30mph down the ramps).

We're only getting your side - you might be using a rifle case for your tripod or sighting your pics with a Leupold sniper scope, for all we know ;) - but it sounds like the guy was just abusing his authority. It's amazing how nuts some people get with even the tiniest sliver of power.

BassGear

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Al.

I agree, why not leave the dude alone and find another place to take your pictures from? I don't understand why some people feel the need to push small things to the limit.

OP
MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team

Al.

I agree, why not leave the dude alone and find another place to take your pictures from? I don't understand why some people feel the need to push small things to the limit.

There are no other places. I live in florida, everything is flat and one story tall (except some 2 story apartments) with no basements. The parking garage is several stories and several hundred feet high. As you can see from the attached image the parking garage is taller than most everything else.

No I had no strange tripods, cases, or sniper scopes. Just a simple not so expensive camera that take "OK" pictures.
Canon-PowerShot-S5-camera.jpg

I went back today and took pictures for probably 40 minutes. Rent-A-Cop didn't show his face this time.

I prefer to take my own pictures for my desktop wallpapers.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 389
  • photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 365
  • photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you had a Nikon, then he would have known you were a real photographer!

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You've got to be kidding! The only thing smaller than a Smart is a Schwinn - if those can't use compact spaces, there's no such thing as a compact!

this guy was a total jerk over compact parking spots at this mall in L.A ..basically i kept walking intill i got inside the mall and went looking for the security office and asked to see the person in charge and explain to the person what just happened outside and explained to the person that i drive a small smart car and had parked into a compact spot and was told by the officer ---- that i could not park there for my smart is not a compact car.. at that point the person who was in charge was basically going iam going to kill that person look ..

the person said thank you for bring it to there attention about what happened and they will take care of it as i was walking away the person was beening told on the radio that a smart car is a compact and not to bother people who drive a smart or small cars ..

Last edited:

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Al.[/quote]
I don't understand why some people feel the need to push small things to the limit.[/QUOTE]

it not about pushing things to a limit it about them beening a total jerk about the basic areas of beening a job that they need to learn to be a little more common sense when it comes to thinking ..instead he went out of his socalled partol zone to come over to a area they do not even partol to mess with someone ..

that like when the people who used to drive up to south mountain and take pictures of the valley of the sun in the dusk or at morning sunrise of the citys or night time shots of the city when we do a partol of the area when we saw the people with cameras and telecopes set up with just dove by and waved at them ..

now if you standing there with a beer in your hand you got our attention and we stop and we a few second chat with the time to see what they where driveing or not but most of the time it was family members there with setups for viewing he stars or takeing photos ..

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts