What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happens when I update from 3.2Jb to 4.2 beta?

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What happens to:

The apps that were bought?
The free apps?
The apps that were installed via appsync?
The books and movies associated with goodreader (bought) and VLC movie player?

Andymyrick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You will lose apps installed via appsync because when you upgrade from 3.2, you will lose your jailbreak. The jailbreak for the iPad has not been released yet. As for the apps that your purchased, even if the app is free, you still "purchase" the app. If you sync the apps on your iPad with iTunes before you upgrade, then you will be able to put those apps back onto the iPad after the upgrade. Now, I'm sure you are already aware of this but be aware of the fact that the apps that you have may not work the way they are supposed to because iOS 4.2 of course is a beta. Im not too sure about the books and movies associated with goodreader and vlc because i dont use those applications.

i hope that i helped you out.

OP
P

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks andymyrick for your comments I am going to wait for the final release,

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Beta or not if you upgrade your jb3.2 you will lose the apps that you get from cydia . all apps downloaded from itunes appstore will be retain.

I have gone from jb3.2 to 4.2beta to 4.2beta2. No issues on a 64Gwifi only ipad.

OP
P

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Beta or not if you upgrade your jb3.2 you will lose the apps that you get from cydia . all apps downloaded from itunes appstore will be retain.

I have gone from jb3.2 to 4.2beta to 4.2beta2. No issues on a 64Gwifi only ipad.

Any problems with 4.2 beta?

How do I get 4.2 beta and do it?

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes there are problems apps crash many have not been upgraded to support 4.2 you name it just wait till final release besides you need to have your ipAd registered with a developer

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes there are problems apps crash many have not been upgraded to support 4.2 you name it just wait till final release besides you need to have your ipAd registered with a developer

Colin please stop to spraiy this , is totally wrong you don’t need to be register as developer for use the beta , just do as update … in many post i have explain how to do it … last week-end i have update my wifi one with the beta 1 but too buggy so i downgrade … and wednesday i have update with the 4.2 B 2 and it work like a charm no bug at all yet

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score

im using a wifi only ipad. i didnt have any problems with it.

i know a developer who registered my udid and gave me the link.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score

im using a wifi only ipad. i didnt have any problems with it.

i know a developer who registered my udid and gave me the link.

i Also know a dev he give me the firmware but i didn’t want to register my UDID for some reason … yet i am satisfied with this beta

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is what will happen.

You will sit there...with a buggy iPad....and you will be sitting there bashing your head yelling this to yourself, " WHY DID I NOT JUST WAIT FOR THE OFFICIAL RELEASE INSIDE OF USING A BUGGY BETA!?!?!?!?!?"

Or something along those lines.

Do NOT use Betas. Do you absolutely need to use this beta for some odd reason? I doubt it. Just wait.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do NOT use Betas. Do you absolutely need to use this beta for some odd reason? I doubt it. Just wait.
Oh crap! Now I will have to go back to 3.2.2 and lose all the really great new features I really enjoy about the latest release of 4.2 just because YOU think its a bad idea!

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Be nice....:)

You think JB is a bad idea! Lol! I think Beta was a bad idea for me.:(

LoooooL , i think JB is not good idea … and last week-end after using the beta1 i also think is bad idea … ;) but yet with the beta2 i think update is good idea :) warfffffff warrrfffffff

but concerning JB i keep thinking is no use regarding to the possible trouble than can give you …

just now i have an interesting talking with our super moderator Colin … and both agree update with beta is not for everybody you should know what you do and how to return back if you experience trouble … the problem is the ipad is so easy to use so everybody think they can do everything even complicated and dangerous modification ( by the way for the JB i think is the same)

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ip1! I love reading your posts! You are so smart too. Seriously. I have always wanted to JB, but I won't as Beta didn't work for me and I cried, because my poor ipad was trippin ~ and I just don't have time for things that don't work the way they should. But it does now.

But ~

I have learned more than I ever wanted to know about Beta, trust me.;) If I had someone here to JB my ipad and know what they are doing, I would do it.

I am surprised you have not JB yours. The process fascinates me and I read all I can about it!

Most reactions

Latest posts