What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happens now that i found out my ipad is a stolen one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't see how you'd return $100 found on the sidewalk unless you saw someone drop it. That's not the same thing as buying stolen property. I think you're reaching.

I think most people are honest, or at least don't want to get involved in something sketchy involving other people's property.

Yeah, its different...but it almost isnt different: If you dont know the goods are stolen then its just like you net seeing the money drop out of someones wallet.

I gotchya though, Kay. All good, friend.:)

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well of course Id like to see the thief get screwed but it appears the way its setup now that they have the least chance of getting screwed. They steal it, they sell it, they are now exonerated from the whole process. Unless you know them personally and can prove they had it which is hard to do. It aint right.

As for the gold Eagles - Im more of a silver Eagle guy but we'll let that go for now ;). Well, in that situation, I cant answer what I would do. Id have to be there in the heat of the moment. Its easy for people to say "Oh no, Id call the police, turn them in, etc, etc." Would they REALLY though or are they just saying that to save face on the message boards? Hmmmm.

If you find a $100 bucks on the sidewalk...do you take to the local lost and found? Of course not, you pocket the $100 bucks. I dont want anyone to hate on me for saying this, but its the truth and I suspect most would do the same but they wont say it. Everyone has high morals and ethics - until they get a deal of a lifetime dropped in their lap.

I hear ya though, Bob - Im not a bad guy here, just looking at this from some different angles.

Sure, in a best case scenario the theif gets caught, the goods are returned to the rightful owner andf the unknowing buyer also gets their money back. Like you said though - a longshot at best and this is where I find things get dicey.

Fair enough, Kay!!!!

Not saying you are bad. For the record.

Smiley!

Do not assume most of us are dishonest, that is unfair.

I've had my share of opportunities and in (almost) every case, I was honest about it. I have "screwed" a few sellers of this and that, too. In one case, I met a seller of postal stationary that sold me something he clearly misrepresented. I knew something he did not know and I willingly became his sucker. Then I sold my treasure and bought something quite extraordinary.

Cheers

SNOWDROP252

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here in the Uk there are signs displayed in the Post Offices which read " Please check your change as mistakes cannot be rectified once you leave the Counter." I used their services and was given a £10 note by the Teller instead of a £5 one in change. He called me back and told me he had made a mistake and needed to change the note for the correct denomination....you should have seen his face when I pointed out the sign and told him "It works both ways." END OF STORY.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here in the Uk there are signs displayed in the Post Offices which read " Please check your change as mistakes cannot be rectified once you leave the Counter." I used their services and was given a £10 note by the Teller instead of a £5 one in change. He called me back and told me he had made a mistake and needed to change the note for the correct denomination....you should have seen his face when I pointed out the sign and told him "It works both ways." END OF STORY.

I was told this story by a fellow salesman.

In the early years, the boss at the time went to a bank. He was given about $1000.00 or (perhaps it was $500.00, I was not there) so dollars worth of gold coins, likely $20.00 coins in rolls. Boss started walking away and noted the error. He returned and pointed out to the teller that he had made a mistake and was told something like "Sir, I am careful, I do not make mistakes." Or something like that.

A few hours later, he returned to the bank and the teller was glad to see him. Boss played it soft and forced the teller to apologize and admit he does make mistakes.

Or so the story goes. In the day when gold coins were in circulation, a grand or so was quite a bit.

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Moderation Notice: This post has been edited by IPF Staff and the member has been disciplined in accordance with the Forum Rules

Last edited by a moderator:

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I knew it was stolen, then I would turn it in. However, if I just thought it **might** be stolen, I would do what I could to find out. Past that, I'm keeping it.
I buy things & sell things on Craigslist & eBay all the time. Mostly just kid toys, but sometimes higher dollar items. I just bought 1 of my boys an iPod touch 3rd gen off CL for his birthday. The price was very nice, and I offered even lower. The guys emails were always titled a certain way, had a specific email address, & he always had a certain word usage that was "unique" when replying. When I looked at the iPod, making sure it worked & such, I noticed that his email listed on the app was different & the iPod had "Mike's iPod" listed as it's user. But this dude was no Mike. And it had things on it that I didn't really see this guy being interested in.
I asked him about it & he said he was selling it for a friend. First time he mentioned that little diddy.

Then he started making me feel like I was racially "profiling" him, thinking it was stolen & that he wouldn't watch PBS kids shows or read Goodhouskeeping magazines. So I did end up buying. I did call Apple & the serial number was clear, so they told me to restore it & use it.

But I still think it was stolen.

I did what I could in my mind, but I do think some guy got shafted out of his iPod touch.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Asked and answered ~

This thread is now closed. Clearly, has gotten off topic ~ advocating stealing and receiving stolen items. Stories of who ripped off who.

Disappointed in some of our members ~ not surprised by others.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts